Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Being scanned by my router

Being scanned by my router

Megan

Hi everyone,

I have been using a D-link DI-604 for the past two months. In the last
two days I have been getting port scanned through the UDP protocol
about every 20 minutes and the IP address being logged on my firewall
is my routers IP. I have another computer on the router and it does not
have this problem. If anyone could help me it would be greatly
appreciated. My firewall is Sygate pro and my operating system is
Windows XP.

Megan

donnie

On 26 Dec 2004 16:48:37 -0800, "Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I have been using a D-link DI-604 for the past two months. In the last
>two days I have been getting port scanned through the UDP protocol
>about every 20 minutes and the IP address being logged on my firewall
>is my routers IP. I have another computer on the router and it does not
>have this problem. If anyone could help me it would be greatly
>appreciated. My firewall is Sygate pro and my operating system is
>Windows XP.
>
> Megan

#######################
Does the router have an internal IP address? I would think it does
since I'm assuming that you're talking about a home network. Are you
using port fowarding? Can you telnet to the router? Is there a
default passwd? Have you changed it? Maybe you can give us a little
more info about your setup.
donnie

Megan

Hi Donnie,

The router does have an internal IP address (192.168.0.1). I also use
port fowarding for file sharing. I don't think I can telnet to the
router, how could I find out? There is the no default password, you
just have to type in your user name. Thanks for your help.

Megan

Jim Watt

On 27 Dec 2004 09:02:36 -0800, "Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Donnie,
>
>The router does have an internal IP address (192.168.0.1). I also use
>port fowarding for file sharing. I don't think I can telnet to the
>router, how could I find out? There is the no default password, you
>just have to type in your user name. Thanks for your help.
>
> Megan

I think you need to read its instructions a bit.

What make and model might it be ?
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

donnie

On 27 Dec 2004 09:02:36 -0800, "Megan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Donnie,
>
>The router does have an internal IP address (192.168.0.1). I also use
>port fowarding for file sharing. I don't think I can telnet to the
>router, how could I find out? There is the no default password, you
>just have to type in your user name. Thanks for your help.
>
> Megan

########################
My guess is that the file sharing is the problem. With whom are the
files shared? Is it a VPN? I take it that it's someone on another
network because you wouldn't need port fowarding for share on internal
PCs. It could be that someone outside is scanning your external IP
(modem IP) and your configuration is making it look like it's the
router.
If you don't have a telnet client such as Putty, you can just open a
command prompt and telnet from there.
telnet 192.168.0.1
If you get a login prompt, attempt to login. If you are successful,
then you should passwd protect that router. Then they to do the same
from a PC outside your network. Run a port scanner, see what ports are
opened. Attempt to contact your network on all opened ports. That way
you can find a way to share your files and secure it from unauthorized
users.
donnie.