Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > advpack.dll infected with trojan?

advpack.dll infected with trojan?

Christo

I got this message from norton AV pro 2003 auto protect

i couldnt open norton to scan the file individually in safe mode because of
an error with definitions

i have uninstalled norton

the advpack.dll is still in the system32 directory of my root drive

I am on XP Home SP2

can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is spyware

what to do?

Jon Cosby

"Christo" wrote:
>I got this message from norton AV pro 2003 auto protect
>
> i couldnt open norton to scan the file individually in safe mode because
> of an error with definitions
>
> i have uninstalled norton
>
> the advpack.dll is still in the system32 directory of my root drive
>
> I am on XP Home SP2
>
> can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
> says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is spyware
>
> what to do?

Don't delete it, it is a system file. Where did you read that it is spyware?

Jon

Christo

"Jon Cosby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:NOIyd.7760$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Christo" wrote:
>>I got this message from norton AV pro 2003 auto protect
>>
>> i couldnt open norton to scan the file individually in safe mode because
>> of an error with definitions
>>
>> i have uninstalled norton
>>
>> the advpack.dll is still in the system32 directory of my root drive
>>
>> I am on XP Home SP2
>>
>> can anyone give me any advice, i have conflicting reports on google, one
>> says advpack.dll is an essential file, another says advpack.dll is
>> spyware
>>
>> what to do?
>>

> Don't delete it, it is a system file. Where did you read that it is
> spyware?
>

> Jon

i cannot remember it was a google i will check net history, ah balls it isnt
there, sorry but i downloaded it from www.dlldump.com and deleted my file in
safe mode and copied the new file in safe mode

hunnicuddler hunnicuddler is offline
Junior Member

Well, 2 years later and I have the same problem! System Machanic 6 detected that a file Advpack.dll was spyware on its Optimising Start Up deep procedure. However, Windows replaced it after it was deleted and I ran SM6 Pro again. This time it ignored the file.

CONLUSION: Maybe there is a program that replaces the genuine Advpack.dll with a spyware dummy Trojan. Maybe in one of the free SP2 packs off the internet or through another program. There again it maybe a fault with Spyware detectors.

As long as the file is replaced with Windows automatically then there's no real problem and we can thank God for great Spyware removal programs.