Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Best way to restore sys tray icons?

Best way to restore sys tray icons?

Zarbol Tsar

Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping
and restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.

Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
come back.

How can I get these missing icons back and in particular my system
tray icon for my Sygate firewall?

_Vanguard_

"Zarbol Tsar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping
> and restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.
>
> Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
> come back.
>
> How can I get these missing icons back and in particular my system
> tray icon for my Sygate firewall?

Logout, then login.

Killing and restarting explorer.exe (which gets used as the desktop GUI)
results in losing tray icons for applications that don't update their
status. The application is still loaded and responsive but they don't
refresh their icons, probably because that would result in a bunch of
flickering icons and waste CPU cycles to report the same status as
before (i.e., the status is the same way more often than when it
changes). However, I have seen stopping and reloading the application
still does not show its tray icon. Maybe configuring the tray to NOT
hide icons would make those show.

David Wright Sr.

"_Vanguard_" <see_signature> wrote in news:GeydnWI9W-Fi4lTcRVn-

> "Zarbol Tsar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping
>> and restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.
>>
>> Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
>> come back.
>>
>> How can I get these missing icons back and in particular my system
>> tray icon for my Sygate firewall?

> Logout, then login.
>
> Killing and restarting explorer.exe (which gets used as the desktop GUI)
> results in losing tray icons for applications that don't update their
> status. The application is still loaded and responsive but they don't
> refresh their icons, probably because that would result in a bunch of
> flickering icons and waste CPU cycles to report the same status as
> before (i.e., the status is the same way more often than when it
> changes). However, I have seen stopping and reloading the application
> still does not show its tray icon. Maybe configuring the tray to NOT
> hide icons would make those show.

Nope. I have noticed the same problem and I don't have 'Hide Inactive
Icons' set in the properties list. So far, logging out and logging in is
the only solution that I have found.

David Wright

Mike

Zarbol Tsar wrote:
> Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping
> and restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.
>
> Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
> come back.
>
> How can I get these missing icons back and in particular my system
> tray icon for my Sygate firewall?

Log off & Log On?

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted,
submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

JerryM \(ID\)

Have you tried setting the Icons to Always Show?

Right click the Task bar, select properties,
Click Hide inactive Icons, select Customize,
Under Current items, double click the program,
In the drop down window, select - Always show.

This must be done with each program.

Be sure to unclick Hide inactive Icons when you are done.
Then Reboot.

"Zarbol Tsar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping
> and restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.
>
> Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
> come back.

<Snip>

Tim Lister

Mike wrote:
> Zarbol Tsar wrote:
>
>> Sometimes I have to clear a problem on my WinXP system by stopping and
>> restarting EXPLORER.EXE using TaskManager.
>>
>> Afterwards not all the icons in the system tray (notification area)
>> come back.
>>
>> How can I get these missing icons back and in particular my system
>> tray icon for my Sygate firewall?

> Log off & Log On?

I know that there are various apps that describe themselves as system
tray managers that will preserve the icons through the restarting of
explorer; I saw a bunch of them being reviewed in some PC magazine
recently & a few were recommended as they provided some other quite
useful functionality which for the life of me, I can't remember what it
was exactly that they did (must've been good!)! It might be worth having
a look around for an app along those lines if the disappearing icons are
a bother, although as mentioned above, it's only the icon that's gone,
not the actual app!