Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Can't open hosts file on xp!

Can't open hosts file on xp!

David H. Lipman

E x c e l l e n t !

You'll have to send me an email and I 'll send you my "other" email address. We can talk shop. I've been to your web site.
I like to hear how other places to their networking and "stuff".. Especially with the changes that are taking place before the end of the year.
"They" are keeping me busy. And of course, we can't get into details "here"

Dave
BTW: The problem with SETI is it defaults to to http for the web site. Our web site is https so if you click on the URL, it doesn't work. However, you can type it in manually using https and you'll get to our web site.

"winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cp8hv8$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I thought that was you, we talked before, I am the guy 3 below you on
| the team page...lol i gotz some catching to do I might make 15K units by
| then. Funny how strange minds work..lol
| Winged
|
| David H. Lipman wrote:
| > Yes still a SETI phan... as of right now...
| >
| > 19448 WUs
| > 5.569 years processing WUs
| >
| > I hope to make 20K by Jan 1, 05.
| > I did not go BOINC
| >
| > As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
| > Windows OS.
| > When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
| > the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.
| >
| > Dave
| >

| > "winged" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:cp8aqi$(E-Mail Removed)...
| > | We have installed XP on excess of 1000 systems to include SP2. It works,
| > | now if we could get the rest of the security issues fixed....Software is
| > | one issue, compatible hardware is another. There is a number of
| > | hardware items that just won't work under XP. There are a number of
| > | legitimate reasons for this. Additionally I have seen a number of
| > | people just try to "upgrade" to XP. The best method to install XP is on
| > | a clean (wiped system)
| > |
| > | Dave, you still processing SETI?
| > |
| > | Winged
| > |
| > |

| > Win2K

donnie

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:08:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
>Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use a
>broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".
>
>A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of Win2K
>SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.
>
>Dave

#############################
You're playing w/ words. That's a significant amount of conflicts.
Let's call it the way it is. Are you a politician? MS knows what apps
are being used. It's unbelievable that a multibillion dollar company
can't hire programmers to wite a service pack that doesn't cause all
those problems.
donnie.

donnie

On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:50:08 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>As for the upgrade from one OS to WinXP, it is always best to do a clean install with *any*
>Windows OS.
>When it is time to install the OS all you have to do is point the installation at a CDROM of
>the previous OS if you buy an Upgrade version.
>
>Dave

############################
It's debatable as to whether or not moving to XP is an upgrade in the
first place. There was nothing wrong w/ w2k IMO. I handle a small w2k
network for a motgage company and it's only on a rare occasion that I
have to go there. If it's not broke don't fix it, unless you want to
make some money, of course.
donnie.

David H. Lipman

There are thousands of applications with millions of possible outcomes. While 50 may seem
large -- it isn't.

Dave

"donnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 01:08:49 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
| >Software that's not compatible like older versions of NAV. Incompatibility with a with a
| >Service Pack is nothing new. 50 apps. is more than in previous SP's but I would not use
| >broad statement such as "...There have been a lot of problems w/ sp2 so I've heard.".
| >
| >A statement like "some have had problems..." is more apropos and has been the case of
Win2K
| >SP1 ~ SP4 and WinXP SP1.
| >
| >Dave
| #############################
| You're playing w/ words. That's a significant amount of conflicts.
| Let's call it the way it is. Are you a politician? MS knows what apps
| are being used. It's unbelievable that a multibillion dollar company
| can't hire programmers to wite a service pack that doesn't cause all
| those problems.
| donnie.

Not-My-Real-Name

David H. Lipman wrote:
> There are thousands of applications with millions of possible
> outcomes. While 50 may seem large -- it isn't.
>
> Dave

How many of those 50 are fixed when you disable the SP2 Firewall?
Seems to me that's where most of the complaints are coming from.