Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Question about proxies

Question about proxies

Jathingle

Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
with the firewall. How do I get around this.

Thanks

Leythos

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
> my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
> enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
> almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
> "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
> So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
> with the firewall. How do I get around this.

What you are trying to do is "Unethical" and against School Policy.
Rather than subvert policy or continue down an unethical path, why don't
you wait until you get home to view the site.

Your actions, since WebSense will log the site you are trying to visit,
and your account information, will just get you in trouble at school.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Jathingle

got a point there

donnie

On 6 Dec 2004 15:39:43 -0800, "Jathingle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
>my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
>enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
>almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
>"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
>So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
>with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>
>Thanks

#############################
I remember someone here saying that their daughter told them that if
she switched the keyboard into spanish and back again, it disabled the
filter. I don't remember the name of the filter and it's probably
been patched by now, but you might want to try it just for fun.
donnie.

nemo outis

In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Jathingle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
>my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
>enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
>almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
>"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
>So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
>with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>
>Thanks

I'm not going to give you a load of crap about penetrating
firewalls being "unethical" but I am going to warn you that any
action may have consequences - possibly very serious
consequences! - and you should weigh both the risks and the
consequences **very carefully** before deciding whether to
proceed - or NOT! (no shame in not picking fights you won't win).
Hackers should remember the advice given to fighter pilots in WW
II: there are bold pilots, and there are old pilots, but there
are no old, bold pilots!

It is obvious, moreover, that you are not especially
knowledgeable or experienced. This ups the risk very
considerably. Again, extreme caution is advised. Don't let
curiosity and eagerness to experiment get the better of your
judgment and result in you getting expelled, suspended, charged
with mischief, etc., etc.

Now, stepping off the soapbox, let me explain that almost every
firewall can be penetrated. The question is what protocols and
what ports are permitted. There is also the question of what
access you have to the box you're using inside the school (can
you install programs, drivers, services, etc.?) and what
resources you have outside the school (e.g. a box at home which
you can set up to be your proxy server, or must you rely on
public servers?).

For instance, one excellent combination is httport on the school
box and httphost on a home box whch has "always on" internet
access (e.g., cable or DSL). This wraps the real packets
(encrypted) in a dummy http wrapper (complete with stub data)
which goes out on port 80 through the school firewall to your
home machine and from there to the internet. Will beat most
firewalls including even those with (not-very-sophisticated)
stateful packet inspection.

But learn from the pros (and you may satisfy your curiosity
enough that you won't be tempted to break school rules). Here's
a tip: do NOT experiment with this at school until you have got
it successfully working outside school, preferably on a setup
that closely mimics the school one. IOW: Do your hacking
homework and learn your method inside out before proceeding!

For instance, on a friend's home machine get him to install a
firewall (preferably the same as the school one, although that
may be beyond you) and then you (for instance) install httport on
his machine and httphost on your home machine and see if you can
"tunnel through" your friend's firewall to surf the net through
the proxy on your home machine. IOW simulate the whole
enterprise outside school and learn exactly what to do in a
"safe"situation. Also try to see what your hack looks like from
the other side - what traces and signs you give out. Know your
enemy!

I'll close by getting back on the soapbox:

Remember: Caution, patience, judgment and learning *before* doing
are the hallmarks of a good hacker. Rash actions will get your
ass kicked hard! And never let your ego (desire to brag, to get
away with something, etc.) get the better of your judgment.

I man I know is a very wealthy, very successful criminal
(although he has never been convicted of so much as jaywalking).
His rigorous self-discipline would put a Tibetan monk to shame.
As he has told me: The cops can **** up 99 times out of 100 and
still get you. But a criminal who succeeds even 99 times out of
100 is a complete failure. You must be good enough to succeed
100 out of 100 to be a criminal. There ain't no shortcuts to
that level of performance!

Regards,

nemo outis

In article <AX9td.429880$Pl.297904@pd7tw1no>, nemo (E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

I did some homework. You can download a 30-day trial version of
websense. Download it, install it on a home machine, or better,
a home network (even if you have to install a server OS on one
of them) and learn it inside out.

Too much trouble? Then you don't have what it takes to be a real
hacker.

Regards,

Rodney Kelp

Go to your system administrator and get permission for your account to view
that site. They can do that.

"Jathingle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
> my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
> enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
> almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
> "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
> So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
> with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>
> Thanks

---

cacophony

INSERT ANGSTY PROFESSIONAL SOUNDING DISCLAIMER HERE.

The problem is that you're using transparent proxies, rather than anonymous
proxies.

Jathingle wrote:

> Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
> my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
> enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
> almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
> "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
> So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
> with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>
> Thanks

cnhan

maybe your school's administrator use websense or deep inspection to fliter
the web url. and web content.even though you use proxy. because the content
and url between you and proxy are transparence.

i think you can use ssl proxy .it will encrypt the encrypt communication
from proxy to your pc

"Jathingle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
??????:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
> Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
> my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
> enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
> almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
> "whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
> So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
> with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>
> Thanks

winged

cnhan wrote:
> maybe your school's administrator use websense or deep inspection to fliter
> the web url. and web content.even though you use proxy. because the content
> and url between you and proxy are transparence.
>
> i think you can use ssl proxy .it will encrypt the encrypt communication
> from proxy to your pc
>

> "Jathingle" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ??????:(E-Mail Removed) groups.com...
>
>>Hey, I am behind a firewall and there is a website I want to go to but
>>my school unfortunately filters it. The program they use is websense
>>enterprise. Anyway when I try to use a proxy it doesn't work. It is
>>almost like the proxy isnt there because when i check my ip on
>>"whatismyip.com" my ip is still the same with or without the proxy.
>>So, obviously it isn't working and i'm assuming it has something to do
>>with the firewall. How do I get around this.
>>
>>Thanks

Might still want to be careful. If there are sniffing the session, SSL
is not secure and the communication can be broken relatively easy.
There are several methods to accomplish this if you are in the middle of
the communication stream.

VITAL QUESTION cgi Proxies on httpS seeker Computer Security 2 11-25-2004 11:52 AM
Proxies, anyone? mad scientist Firefox 3 10-31-2004 05:22 AM
Newbie question: PERL proxies... mrmike Perl Misc 2 06-02-2004 02:36 PM
COTSE question, Chaining proxies somebody else Computer Security 5 05-27-2004 07:30 PM
Calling com proxies from asp.net Ryan ASP .Net 0 12-11-2003 02:22 PM

Advertisments