Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > cannot ftp or upload

cannot ftp or upload

Rick Stahl

I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites via
FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my computer's
settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the internet via cable
modem through a residentioal gateway, am running Windows XP Home Service
Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center (firewall, privacy,
anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank you. Rick

Colin

Rick Stahl wrote:
> I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites via
> FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my computer's
> settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the internet via cable
> modem through a residentioal gateway, am running Windows XP Home Service
> Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center (firewall, privacy,
> anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank you. Rick

Did you allow the required service through your firewall?

Rick Stahl

No I didn't allow the required service through my firewall. I am not sure
how to do this manually and I was never prompted to grant permission in any
of my FTP or upload attempts. Perhaps my firewall needs to be configured so
that it prompts me. Do you know how to do this if this is what the problem
is ? Thanks. Rick.

"Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fFDsd.81984$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> Rick Stahl wrote:
>> I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites via
>> FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my computer's
>> settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the internet via cable
>> modem through a residentioal gateway, am running Windows XP Home Service
>> Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center (firewall, privacy,
>> anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank you. Rick

> Did you allow the required service through your firewall?

donnie

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 20:38:14 -0500, "Rick Stahl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>No I didn't allow the required service through my firewall. I am not sure
>how to do this manually and I was never prompted to grant permission in any
>of my FTP or upload attempts. Perhaps my firewall needs to be configured so
>that it prompts me. Do you know how to do this if this is what the problem
>is ? Thanks. Rick.

########################
First disable it completely to see if it makes a difference. If it
does, then look at the settings.
donnie.

Julie

have you tried disabling passive mode in the "internet options" in the
"Advance" tab?

to go to Start then run

inetcpl.cpl

--
Julie

"Rick Stahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No I didn't allow the required service through my firewall. I am not sure
> how to do this manually and I was never prompted to grant permission in
> any of my FTP or upload attempts. Perhaps my firewall needs to be
> configured so that it prompts me. Do you know how to do this if this is
> what the problem is ? Thanks. Rick.
>

> "Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fFDsd.81984$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Rick Stahl wrote:
>>> I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites
>>> via FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my
>>> computer's settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the
>>> internet via cable modem through a residentioal gateway, am running
>>> Windows XP Home Service Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center
>>> (firewall, privacy, anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank
>>> you. Rick

>> Did you allow the required service through your firewall?

Michael J. Pelletier

Rick Stahl wrote:

> No I didn't allow the required service through my firewall. I am not sure
> how to do this manually and I was never prompted to grant permission in
> any
> of my FTP or upload attempts. Perhaps my firewall needs to be configured
> so
> that it prompts me. Do you know how to do this if this is what the
> problem
> is ? Thanks. Rick.
>

> "Colin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fFDsd.81984$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>> Rick Stahl wrote:
>>> I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites
>>> via
>>> FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my computer's
>>> settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the internet via cable
>>> modem through a residentioal gateway, am running Windows XP Home Service
>>> Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center (firewall, privacy,
>>> anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank you. Rick

>> Did you allow the required service through your firewall?

You need to allow some outgoing ports:
TCP 21 (FTP control)
TCP 20 (FTP data if using FTP Active)

I am not sure what your firewall supports FTP Active of FTP Passive. You
need to check this out because older/ignorant firewalls definetly have
problems with this.

I am not going to explain these to modes because, honestly, I hate typing!
So I did a quick Google and found a nice web site the will explain
everything for you. If you have an questions let me know.

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

-- Michael

Mohammed A. Raslan

Hi,
I'm not sure about this case, but usually public FTP servers allow
downloading
files from them but prohibit uploading files. Do you have an account that
allows you to upload files to these server?

--
Yours truly,
Mohammed A. Raslan

"Rick Stahl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I cannot upload to ebay, photoworks, etc or even connect to any sites via
> FTP. I can download from all sites attempted. I believe my computer's
> settings must not be set correctly. I connect to the internet via cable
> modem through a residentioal gateway, am running Windows XP Home Service
> Pack 2, and also have McAfee Security Center (firewall, privacy,
> anti-virus). Could someone please help ? Thank you. Rick

Rick Stahl

Yes I tried disabling this passive mode and still no dice . . . .