Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > X.25 to TCP protocol translation

X.25 to TCP protocol translation

Sascha E. Pollok

Dear Folks,

here's a rare problem. I never needed to deal with X.25 stuff
until today when a customer needs to be able to "telnet" to
an X.25 host. So what we did is that we set up protocol
translation on a router connect with one end to a Linux box
(IP based, of course) and with one end to an X.25 network.

PAD to the destination host is working, protocol translation
works too but they say that we arrive as "X.29 terminal" while
they need a pure "X.25 call". The consequence is that we
do not get the expected "application" but some kind like a
command prompt.

Anyone with any experience here?

Thanks a lot
Sascha

Frank Beider

I have done in the past here is a sample configuration. You will have to
replace the RFC 1918 10 Network addresses with IP addresses for your
situation. Note the comments in the configuration.

x25 routing

interface Loopback0
ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
no ip directed-broadcast

interface Serial1
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
encapsulation x25 dce
no ip mroute-cache
x25 htc 800
!the above x25 statement may need some "tuning" for your situation

x25 route 202 interface Serial1
!note the 202 is the X.25 address you want to get to
!
translate tcp 10.1.2.2 x25 202
!the above statment translates 10.1.2.2 IP address to x25 202
!when you telnet to 10.1.2.2 you get the x.25 application

"Sascha E. Pollok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqfrgd$ats$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Folks,
>
> here's a rare problem. I never needed to deal with X.25 stuff
> until today when a customer needs to be able to "telnet" to
> an X.25 host. So what we did is that we set up protocol
> translation on a router connect with one end to a Linux box
> (IP based, of course) and with one end to an X.25 network.
>
> PAD to the destination host is working, protocol translation
> works too but they say that we arrive as "X.29 terminal" while
> they need a pure "X.25 call". The consequence is that we
> do not get the expected "application" but some kind like a
> command prompt.
>
> Anyone with any experience here?
>
> Thanks a lot
> Sascha

Sascha E. Pollok

Frank Beider <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Frank,

thanks for your email. This is quite similar to the configuration I have:

!
x25 routing
!
interface Serial0/1
description X.25 link
no ip address
encapsulation x25
x25 address 76880900
x25 htc 8
no cdp enable
lapb T1 20000
lapb N1 4168
!
x25 route 12345678 interface Serial0/1
!
translate tcp 192.168.150.2 stream x25 12345678

When we connect to the IP address, we get some login-prompt of the
X.25 host. They say, I should be connected to some kind of application
and that the reason for the login prompt is, that we come in as
X.29 terminal and not as a pure X.25 connection. Damn... I never
thought I would need to care about this stuff...

Any more ideas?

Thanks
Sascha

> I have done in the past here is a sample configuration. You will have to
> replace the RFC 1918 10 Network addresses with IP addresses for your
> situation. Note the comments in the configuration.
>
> x25 routing
>
> interface Loopback0
> ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
> no ip directed-broadcast
>
> interface Serial1
> no ip address
> no ip directed-broadcast
> encapsulation x25 dce
> no ip mroute-cache
> x25 htc 800
> !the above x25 statement may need some "tuning" for your situation
>
> x25 route 202 interface Serial1
> !note the 202 is the X.25 address you want to get to
> !
> translate tcp 10.1.2.2 x25 202
> !the above statment translates 10.1.2.2 IP address to x25 202
> !when you telnet to 10.1.2.2 you get the x.25 application
>

> "Sascha E. Pollok" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bqfrgd$ats$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear Folks,
>>
>> here's a rare problem. I never needed to deal with X.25 stuff
>> until today when a customer needs to be able to "telnet" to
>> an X.25 host. So what we did is that we set up protocol
>> translation on a router connect with one end to a Linux box
>> (IP based, of course) and with one end to an X.25 network.
>>
>> PAD to the destination host is working, protocol translation
>> works too but they say that we arrive as "X.29 terminal" while
>> they need a pure "X.25 call". The consequence is that we
>> do not get the expected "application" but some kind like a
>> command prompt.
>>
>> Anyone with any experience here?
>>
>> Thanks a lot
>> Sascha

Frank Beider

> When we connect to the IP address, we get some login-prompt of the
> X.25 host. They say, I should be connected to some kind of application
> and that the reason for the login prompt is, that we come in as
> X.29 terminal and not as a pure X.25 connection. Damn... I never
> thought I would need to care about this stuff...
>
> Any more ideas?

This is how it exactly works for me. I get a login in prompt to the host.
Now I am not sure about your end application.

Do you have to come in on a specific virtual channel (VC) to access the
specific application.

Have you seen this actually work like it is described to you? If so then a
protocol analyzer of the data stream may give you some clue.

Julio Arruda

Frank Beider wrote:
>>When we connect to the IP address, we get some login-prompt of the
>>X.25 host. They say, I should be connected to some kind of application
>>and that the reason for the login prompt is, that we come in as
>>X.29 terminal and not as a pure X.25 connection. Damn... I never
>>thought I would need to care about this stuff...
>>
>>Any more ideas?
>>

> This is how it exactly works for me. I get a login in prompt to the host.
> Now I am not sure about your end application.
>
> Do you have to come in on a specific virtual channel (VC) to access the
> specific application.
>
> Have you seen this actually work like it is described to you? If so then a
> protocol analyzer of the data stream may give you some clue.

Most of the time, the X.25 would send in the call setup "User Data"
field the "protocol id", if you are doing PAD/X.29, this would be 0x01,
if doing RFC 1356, 0xCC for IP, SNA/QLLC would be C3 (?), and the X25
software in the host would tie this VC based on this field to the
specific application/protocol stack. What CUD is expected by your
application ? I guess you can configure the protocol translation to send
this on your call setup when a TCP connection comes in..