Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Registry Perforation

Registry Perforation

Ken Gast

I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
action on the part of the administration?

All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

Leythos

In article <_MTod.5104$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
> indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
> given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
> insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
> action on the part of the administration?
>
> All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
> now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

What it did doesn't matter. You were doing something that you had no
business doing, it cost them money (time) to correct it, and you knew
you were not suppose to do it.

When you are in the real world you have to treat things like you are a
GUEST, not an owner.

Your attempting to rationalize that you were helping them by showing a
weakness in the security is only a lame method of trying to not accept
TOTAL responsibility for your actions.

The computer was not yours, you used it improperly, changed a system
setting, were aware that you were not to do it, and are being given a
proper response for your complete lack of respect for the system,
teacher, school, and even worse, for your own peers.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Bit Twister

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 04:06:18 GMT, Ken Gast wrote:
> I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
> indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
> given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
> insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
> action on the part of the administration?

You dinkup a school's computer, you could have been expelled or
whatever else the administration have in their policy book.

> All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
> now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

Does not matter. Cracking computer security is a good way to get into
deep trouble. What would happen if you hack weakened the boxe's
security and was used to steal credit cards. Your butt would be in
deep dodo.

Here read this
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/06..._for_nonhacks/

Israel Lopez

First of all, A reg hack doesn't mean much. I mean, why does it matter that
you changed the name of the system?

Usually schools now have deepfreeze installed on their machines. This is a
great tool for people like you, break the machine, just reboot, it all
fixed!

In any case, This is a bad example, how you screw it up for everyone,
especially me. Not only because of my age, and my knowledge. I always have
to prove my rational to the sysadmins. While, it doesn't ruin my chances of
contributing. But you couldn't just keep away from doing it, and you get
what you deserve.

Also, usually Districts will give you a AUP for granting you access to the
school systems on that network. You have to abide by them. If you do find
a vulnerability in the system, some AUP's give you protection given you
don't maliciously exploit it, and not report it before causing problems.

Now, their reaction, could have been different. Depends on the person, try
to side with the person who has to enforce the rules, but does not have the
power to create them. At most school's there is a general techie, a great
way to dick around at school is to become friends with the guy. If he
doesnt want to, then he has is own right not to.

In anycase, it was an appropriate reaction, in terms of the "legality" of
the incident. But again, try to be friendly with the person who might
report ya, and just laugh it off.

Learn to preserve

-Iz

"Ken Gast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_MTod.5104$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was indefinitely
>kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have given less
>punishment for bringing the realization that their system is insecure? Not
>that anything will change, but was this appropriate action on the part of
>the administration?
>
> All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
> now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

Moe Trin

In article <_MTod.5104$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Gast wrote:

>I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
>indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
>given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
>insecure?

Let's turn this around - you give 30 kids access to your computer, and
one of them does something like this. Would _you_ be happy? I don't
think so. The person abused your trust - and obviously can't be trusted
any more. They _could_ have come to you and said "there's a security
hole here that you can fly a 747 through", and GAINED trust, but they
didn't feel it necessary, and would rather play games with you.

>Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
>action on the part of the administration?

I'd certainly consider it appropriate.

>All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
>now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

Just so you know about this for the future when you are out in the
workplace - your future boss could do a heck of a lot more than put
a frowny face on your annual review. You just proved that you have
no concept of responsibility. You're gone.

Old guy

nemo outis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was
>indefinitely kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have
>given less punishment for bringing the realization that their system is
>insecure? Not that anything will change, but was this appropriate
>action on the part of the administration?
>
>All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
>now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

There are two sides to every disagreement - so far we've only
heard yours.

Moreover you admit that you knowingly did a forbidden act - did
you give no thought to the risk or consequences? If your school
is run by idiots with attitude rather than compassionate adults
with some tolerance for misguided youthful pranks, surely you
should know it is unwise to provoke them?

And you are vague (or at least you appear to be vague) about the
punishment. By kicked off "indefinitely" do you intend what the
word actually means: no specified or defined end to the
punishment, or do you mean it as a poor quasi-synonym for
"forever?" IOW is there any prospect of remission of your
sentence for good behaviour or expression of remorse?

However, if the facts are materially as you represent them and
the punishment is indeed "forever" then it does strike me as
rather harsh and an overreaction. That's not uncommon in these
days when officous bureaucrats have fervently embraced a "zero
tolerance" policy for every petty infraction right down to
"mopery with intent to gawk." However, their want of judgement
does not excuse yours.

I advise you, rather than bemoaning what you perceive as the
injustice of your fate, to instead concentrate on what you are
going to do now. Are you going to fight it, throw yourself on
their mercy, find another school, or what? This time plan and
consider the possible outcomes before you act

Regards,

Rodney Kelp

So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the menu?
Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's shop
and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone in
the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
cotton picking hands off of it!

"Ken Gast" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_MTod.5104$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was recently caught at school for running a reghack. I was indefinitely
>kicked off of the network. Is this just or should they have given less
>punishment for bringing the realization that their system is insecure? Not
>that anything will change, but was this appropriate action on the part of
>the administration?
>
> All the file did was change two reg keys as to the effect of the system
> now being named windoes .net server as opposed to windows xp pro

---

nemo outis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rodney Kelp"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the menu?
>Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
>and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's shop
>and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
>Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
>the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
>more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone in
>the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
>cotton picking hands off of it!

You would do well to read Proudhon, the better to understand his
dictum, "Property is theft."

I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

Regards,

Rodney Kelp

Only for those who haven't earned an honest days pay for the thing they
have. People who have nothing like other peoples stuff because they are too
****ing lazy to earn their own.

<nemo (E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis)> wrote in message
newsEcpd.315510$Pl.244485@pd7tw1no...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "Rodney Kelp"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>So you think it's all right to walk into any restaurant and change the
>>menu?
>>Walk into anyone's home and rearrange the furniture? Walk into a pharmacy
>>and change anyone's prescription? How about going to the auto dealer's
>>shop
>>and rearranging the mechanics tool box?
>>Don't ask or check with anyone, just do it. Changing a computer system is
>>the same thing. If it's not yours, leave it alone. I notice that more and
>>more people are having a problem with leaving other peoples things alone
>>in
>>the USA. I don't care if it's my car, my sandwich or my pen. keep your
>>cotton picking hands off of it!

> You would do well to read Proudhon, the better to understand his
> dictum, "Property is theft."
>
> I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
> whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
> understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
> countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.
>
> Regards,

---

Leythos

In article <PEcpd.315510$Pl.244485@pd7tw1no>, nemo (E-Mail Removed)
(nemo outis) says...
> I can hardly expect him to change the mind of someone like you
> whose very Baal is property,. But it might broaden your
> understanding just to realize there is a strong intellectual
> countercurrent to the cult of property as sacrosanct.

Theft is theft, abuse is abuse, denial is not an excuse.

It almost sounds as though you're saying that people that do wrong,
while believing they are right, have a right to do wrong. I disagree
strongly.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)