Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > New 77K email virus?

New 77K email virus?

Edw. Peach

Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?

Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.

I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
payoff it offers.

No, I haven't opened any.

Martin

Edw. Peach wrote:
> Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?
>
> Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
> etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.
>
> I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
> addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
> payoff it offers.
>
> No, I haven't opened any.

yes

W32/Bober.j AVERT have just raised the risk level to medium

David H. Lipman

Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

~ ~ ~
Advisory
This is a Medium Threat Advisory for W32/Sober.j@MM

Justification
W32/Sober.j@MM has been deemed Medium due to prevalence.

Read About It
Information about W32/Sober.j@MM is located on VIL at:
<http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_130130.htm>

Detection
W32/Sober.j@MM was first discovered on 11/19/2004 and detection will be
added to the 4409 dat files (Release Date: 11/19/2004). The EXTRA.DAT will
be available soon.

If you suspect you have W32/Sober.j@MM, please submit a sample to
http://www.webimmune.net.

Risk Assessment Definition
For further information on the Risk Assessment and AVERT Recommended Actions
please see:
http://www.mcafeesecurity.com/us/sec...assessment.htm

Best Regards,

McAfee AVERT - Anti Virus and Vulnerability Research, Analysis, and
Solutions visit us at www.avertlabs.com

~ ~ ~
Dave

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnt19j$i46$(E-Mail Removed)...

| W32/Bober.j AVERT have just raised the risk level to medium

Jim Watt

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 09:49:14 -0500, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there a new virus circulating that has these characteristics?
>
>Subject lines: mail error, FwD: Details, Illegal signs in your mail,
>etc.? And file size seems to be 76-77K file.
>
>I've suddenly finding quite a few of these sent to one of my email
>addresses and am curious where the virus came from and what type of
>payoff it offers.
>
>No, I haven't opened any.

Generally the virus attachments I see are in the 42-44k range.

Someone managed to send me a message that crashed Eudora
today, but don't think it was malevolent.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Edw. Peach

Thanks. I couldn't figure out which one it was from the list I read
on Norton's site.

Jim Watt

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:09:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

hic.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Martin

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 23:09:48 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>

>>Martin meant: W32/Sober.j

> hic.
>
> --