Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > secure and configurable data transfer

secure and configurable data transfer

Reiner Griess

Hi there,

because FTP is insecure I am thinking about alternatives. I saw SSL
encryption for ProFTP, suggestions for for using pureftp and suggestions
for using SFTP (which is included in sshd).

I assume you will point me to sftp. But sftp is not highliy configurable
as e.g. ProFTP. I don't need all the available features. But chroot,
limit upload bandwith and so on are nice features I will not miss.

It would be a choice to configure ProFTP with ssl support. But then the
data stream will not be encrypted ;-/

So, have you any hints for me?

Thanks in advance
reiner

David H. Lipman

https ?

Dave

"Reiner Griess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1gnmany.1fc8lzo142ayrgN%(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hi there,
|
| because FTP is insecure I am thinking about alternatives. I saw SSL
| encryption for ProFTP, suggestions for for using pureftp and suggestions
| for using SFTP (which is included in sshd).
|
| I assume you will point me to sftp. But sftp is not highliy configurable
| as e.g. ProFTP. I don't need all the available features. But chroot,
| limit upload bandwith and so on are nice features I will not miss.
|
| It would be a choice to configure ProFTP with ssl support. But then the
| data stream will not be encrypted ;-/
|
| So, have you any hints for me?
|
| Thanks in advance
| reiner

Reiner Griess

David H. Lipman wrote:
> https ?

Hmm... but then users could not user comfortable clients...

thanks anyways
reiner

Leythos

> David H. Lipman wrote:
> > https ?

> Hmm... but then users could not user comfortable clients...

What are "Comfortable Clients"?

It seems to me, if something as simple as HTTPS isn't simple to your
clients, then you need to provide more of an idea of what you are
willing to allow.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Reiner Griess

Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > David H. Lipman wrote:
> > > https ?

> > Hmm... but then users could not user comfortable clients...

> What are "Comfortable Clients"?
>
> It seems to me, if something as simple as HTTPS isn't simple to your
> clients, then you need to provide more of an idea of what you are
> willing to allow.

Are there clients for windows (my users are using windows) supporting
HTTPS in a split-screen application/gui (like midnight commander - but
easier to use of course)?

thank you
reiner

Michael J. Pelletier

Reiner Griess wrote:

> Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> > Hmm... but then users could not user comfortable clients...

>> What are "Comfortable Clients"?
>>
>> It seems to me, if something as simple as HTTPS isn't simple to your
>> clients, then you need to provide more of an idea of what you are
>> willing to allow.

> Are there clients for windows (my users are using windows) supporting
> HTTPS in a split-screen application/gui (like midnight commander - but
> easier to use of course)?
>
> thank you
> reiner

I use horde for my users. I have the suite in my https directory. Look at
the file manage gollem. It is pretty good...

http://www.horde.org

-- Michael