Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > EFS encrypted harddisk

EFS encrypted harddisk

Arjen

Hello there,

i have the following problem here:

I have here an workstation with 2scsi and 2eide hdd's here. So 4 harddisks.

On one harddisk i have my windows 2000 proffesional, and on an other (BACKUP
HDD) my backups with my personal letters, scanned photo's etc.

The other two harddisks i used for different purposes.

However, i new installed my windows 2000 on the system disk and in order to
be sure i made all partitions deleting on my system harddisk. What i didn't
realised was that i had on my backup harddisk made a folder for all these
back-up data who was encrypted by WIN2000 it's own EFS encrypting system.

I tagged this folder containing all these documents from me as to be
encrypted by windows itself.

Now i have deleted my mother harddisk where were all the system and program
files on and i discovered that by removing the partition and lowlevel format
the who thing to start new i REALLY have to start NEW. I deleted the digital
key and now i have no more acces to my backup harddisk who is in NTFS
format.

I tried to backup/copy all the files to an FAT32 Harddisk but the only step
forward of my efforts were that i had no longer the access control agent
from the file NTFS system. I could open a file (photo whatever) but got the
message that file was not a valid or corrupt file.

I phoned with Microsoft with the question if they could crack en decode my
harddisk containing all these files and photo's. But the only answer i got
from them was that sorry sir you lost all your data. Now i can accept that
it maybe would be difficult to decrypt the who'll thing but not an answer
impossible.

Does anybody know a solution to decrypt my data?! I looked for programs to
decrypt but didn't found. Maybe someone knows an expert on these things. If
i had the money i would sue MS because it is their own product who i trusted
and since i can't remember i was warned by the program or in product papers
about this issue i would be happy to know that i had at least some kind of
support for product problems. You pay alot of money for one of their
products and you make a mistake and loose a big part of your life resulting
to start all over again by making a digital administration.

Ok enough about that but is there anybody who knows somebody who could make
a second key for me?! I had a part of my data back-upped on a cd prior the
whole installation process. So i could arange an uncrypted file and a
encrypted one. Maybe this would help i don't know.

Is there anybody who could help me with this?!

Greetings from the netherlands,

Arjen

donnie

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 23:59:54 GMT, "Arjen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there anybody who could help me with this?!

###########################
Here is something from windows help.

To recover an encrypted file or folder if you are a designated
recovery agent

Use Backup or another backup tool to restore a user's backup version
of the encrypted file or folder to the computer where your file
recovery certificate is located.
In Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder.
Click Properties.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Clear the Encrypt contents to secure data check box.
Make a backup version of the decrypted file or folder and return the
backup version to the user.
donnie.

Wimbo

Arjen wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> i have the following problem here:
>
> I have here an workstation with 2scsi and 2eide hdd's here. So 4 harddisks.
>
> On one harddisk i have my windows 2000 proffesional, and on an other (BACKUP
> HDD) my backups with my personal letters, scanned photo's etc.
>
> The other two harddisks i used for different purposes.
>
> However, i new installed my windows 2000 on the system disk and in order to
> be sure i made all partitions deleting on my system harddisk. What i didn't
> realised was that i had on my backup harddisk made a folder for all these
> back-up data who was encrypted by WIN2000 it's own EFS encrypting system.

SNIP

> Does anybody know a solution to decrypt my data?! I looked for programs to
> decrypt but didn't found. Maybe someone knows an expert on these things. If
> i had the money i would sue MS because it is their own product who i trusted
> and since i can't remember i was warned by the program or in product papers
> about this issue i would be happy to know that i had at least some kind of
> support for product problems. You pay alot of money for one of their
> products and you make a mistake and loose a big part of your life resulting
> to start all over again by making a digital administration.
>
> Ok enough about that but is there anybody who knows somebody who could make
> a second key for me?! I had a part of my data back-upped on a cd prior the
> whole installation process. So i could arange an uncrypted file and a
> encrypted one. Maybe this would help i don't know.
>
> Is there anybody who could help me with this?!
>
> Greetings from the netherlands,
>
> Arjen

Utimaco SafeGuard Easy: Harddisk correctly encrypted? Fragezeichen?!? Computer Security 0 06-04-2006 11:53 PM
EFS Question Barry Watzman Microsoft Certification 0 04-12-2005 02:37 AM
EFS and SP2 =?Utf-8?B?TWFydGluYQ==?= Microsoft Certification 2 03-05-2005 04:35 AM
EFS and the domain Nettransplant MCSE 4 11-30-2003 11:09 PM
EFS security Bay MCSE 9 10-21-2003 07:58 PM

Advertisments