Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Abtrusion Protector opinions?

Abtrusion Protector opinions?

Jeff

Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I
think the concept is wonderful, but its given me one problem in the last two
days since I installed it. Macromedia Fireworks MX has a known bug where a
temp file ~e5d141.tmp is created in the user's local folder. The file is
completely anomalous and unneccessary for anything, but the Macromedia
Support team has never gotten around to creating a patch to prevent this
file from being created. Abtrusion Protetor didn't exist this "temp" file
when I installed it, nor did it "see" the file when I added the Macromedia
Fireworks MX folder to the list of trusted software packages. Annoyingly in
the end I had to tell Abtrusion Protector to include my
C:\Docs\Jeff\~Local\temp folder as trusted, which isn't an optimal
situation. I need to track down the folder Macromedai uses so I can
restrict Abtrusion Protector's trusted list a little better.

But it makes so much more sense for an antimalware app to identify processes
which don't have premission to run and stop them from being loaded than it
does to have a 150 kB signature file that every incoming data string is
compared with, and which needs regularly updated to be useful.

I'd recommend those who don't know about Abtrusion Protector to at least
take a look at it. I learned about by browsing the Security file downloads
on Majorgeeks.com. The publisher charges $400 for a corporate license, but
it is free for personal home use. This is supposedly the wave of the
future - "smart" antivirus software that doesn't require a comprehensive
database of every known piece of malware to be effective. Many bad viruses
spread because while they are brand new they begin to spread geometrically
until several days pass and the antivirus vendors fingerprint them and begin
to issue updated signature files. I update my copy of NAV 2004 Pro two or
three times a week.

nemo outis

In article <ueLld.85332$HA.28270@attbi_s01>, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I

...snip...

I invite you to also consider a program I mentioned a short while
agowhich works in a similar manner: Process Guard

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/

The home version is free, but the pay version has several
additional desirable features.

Regards,

PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

Chuck

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

>In article <ueLld.85332$HA.28270@attbi_s01>, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Anyone have any opinions about Abtrusion Protector (www.Abtrusion.com)? I

>..snip...
>
>I invite you to also consider a program I mentioned a short while
>agowhich works in a similar manner: Process Guard
>
>http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/
>
>The home version is free, but the pay version has several
>additional desirable features.

DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

>PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
looking for a reliable security product there?

--
Cheers,
Chuck

nemo outis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chuck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo (E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

...snip...
>DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
>Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

Diamondcs's track record is one reason I have high confidence in
Process Guard.

>>PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

>That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
>distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
>looking for a reliable security product there?

It was a dead neutral statement neither encouraging nor
discouraging privacy. I am not the custodian of others' virtue.

Of course, it would be extremely imprudent and unwise to use
warez for security software in a production environment.

However, there may be those who wish to experiment with the full
version's features rather than those of the free version before
deciding to purchase. Such experimentation should, of course, be
done in an environment where everything is expendable and of low
privacy/security value. However, a warez version on such a test
platform could be an acceptable arrangement for stress-testing
before making a purchase decision.

Regards,

Chuck

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:31:17 GMT, nemo (E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chuck
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:23:32 GMT, nemo (E-Mail Removed) (nemo outis) wrote:

>..snip...
>>DiamondCS is one of my favorite free/pay ware sources on the net. Autostart
>>Viewer, Port Explorer, TDS-3. Very useful tools all.

>Diamondcs's track record is one reason I have high confidence in
>Process Guard.
>

>>>PS The full version was recently posted to the warez groups.

>>That is a warning, no? Hopefully not an invitation to newbies. Warez
>>distribution being one of the best places to download trojans, would you go
>>looking for a reliable security product there?

>It was a dead neutral statement neither encouraging nor
>discouraging privacy. I am not the custodian of others' virtue.
>
>Of course, it would be extremely imprudent and unwise to use
>warez for security software in a production environment.
>
>However, there may be those who wish to experiment with the full
>version's features rather than those of the free version before
>deciding to purchase. Such experimentation should, of course, be
>done in an environment where everything is expendable and of low
>privacy/security value. However, a warez version on such a test
>platform could be an acceptable arrangement for stress-testing
>before making a purchase decision.

Getting warez versions of security software is a good idea if your computer is
otherwise protected, and you wish to simply try out additional software. But
you should do additional security scanning of the software, to ensure that it is
not infected with a virus or other malware.

Security software has to be absolutely reliable, or it's useless. You should
download security software only from websites provided by the author, or by an
authorised distributor.

One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to surf to,
and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security software, for
any purpose, from a warez site.

--
Cheers,
Chuck

nemo outis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Chuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to surf to,
>and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
>professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security software,
> for any purpose, from a warez site.

Then you'd be wrong, wouldn't you?

Moreover you seem to have reading comprehension problems. At no
point did I recommend - I informed. I am not a busybody to
decide for others what they should or should not do.

As for warez, mp3s and other bootleg software, it is perfectly
safe to download and use them if rudimentary precautions are
taken. Without precautions, NO software is safe to download, not
even commercial programs.

Regards,

Jeff

> >One of the best ways to get infections offered to your computer is to

surf to,
> >and download from, warez sites. I do not think that any true security
> >professional would recommend to anybody that they acquire security

software,
> > for any purpose, from a warez site.

> Then you'd be wrong, wouldn't you?
>
> Moreover you seem to have reading comprehension problems. At no
> point did I recommend - I informed. I am not a busybody to
> decide for others what they should or should not do.
>
> As for warez, mp3s and other bootleg software, it is perfectly
> safe to download and use them if rudimentary precautions are
> taken. Without precautions, NO software is safe to download, not
> even commercial programs.
>
> Regards,

I'd rather just stick with downloads www.Majorgeeks.com recommends as I've
been doing. Although the independent alt.privacy.spyware website
http://shplink.com/main.htm is useful as well.

theoretical