Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > shared folders

shared folders

Christo

news:419786ac$0$116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Christo wrote:
>
>> "Thore "Tocis" Schmechtig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>Christo wrote:

>> however after adding the reg value autosharewks as 0 (doesnt matter if
>> its hex or dec does it)

> ROFL! F**K I've just ****ed myself

yeah yeah ok they are the same, dumb thing to say

David H. Lipman

NOT if you are an administrator of many PCs !
Albeit, WinXPHE doesn't need these Admin shares.

Dave

"Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:4197871a$0$116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
| > Of course what you are actually looking for is this:-
| >
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default...314984&sd=tech
|
| it would be nice if those options were available to me however there is no
| "stop sharing" action available
|
| it seems like yet another ****ed up windows feature

Christo

> NOT if you are an administrator of many PCs !
> Albeit, WinXPHE doesn't need these Admin shares.
>
> Dave
>

> "Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> |
> | "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> | news:4197871a$0$116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> | > Of course what you are actually looking for is this:-
> | >

> http://support.microsoft.com/default...314984&sd=tech
> |
> | it would be nice if those options were available to me however there is
> no
> | "stop sharing" action available
> |
> | it seems like yet another ****ed up windows feature

thats true and seen as how i am running pro they are probably defaulted to
be set as active with pro being the networking version of XP

David H. Lipman

They are both Networkable. The difference is WinXP Pro is designed for NT4 Domains and
Active Directory. WinXPHE is not. However the both do Workgroups.

Dave

"Christo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| thats true and seen as how i am running pro they are probably defaulted to
| be set as active with pro being the networking version of XP

Mike

Christo wrote:
> news:4197871a$0$116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>Of course what you are actually looking for is this:-
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...314984&sd=tech

> it would be nice if those options were available to me however there is no
> "stop sharing" action available
>
> it seems like yet another ****ed up windows feature

Try reading the article:-

Firstly only hidden shares created by users can be deleted:-

"Hidden shares that are created by users can be deleted, and they are
not re-created after you restart your computer. Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition does not create hidden administrative shares."

To remove the Administrative shares:-

"Method 2: Deleting default administrative shares for current and later
sessions
Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To delete the hidden administrative shares for all root partitions and
volumes (such as C$) and the system root folder (ADMIN$) and to prevent
Windows from re-creating them, add an AutoShareWks DWORD value to the
following registry key, and then set its value data to 0:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters"

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted,
submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

Christo

news:cna41t$g9f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Christo wrote:
>> "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4197871a$0$116$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>Of course what you are actually looking for is this:-
>>>
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...314984&sd=tech

>> it would be nice if those options were available to me however there is
>> no "stop sharing" action available
>>
>> it seems like yet another ****ed up windows feature

> Try reading the article:-
>
> Firstly only hidden shares created by users can be deleted:-
>
> "Hidden shares that are created by users can be deleted, and they are not
> re-created after you restart your computer. Microsoft Windows XP Home
> Edition does not create hidden administrative shares."
>
> To remove the Administrative shares:-
>
> "Method 2: Deleting default administrative shares for current and later
> sessions
> Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
> problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.
> Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from
> using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.
>
> To delete the hidden administrative shares for all root partitions and
> volumes (such as C$) and the system root folder (ADMIN$) and to prevent
> Windows from re-creating them, add an AutoShareWks DWORD value to the
> following registry key, and then set its value data to 0:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\LanmanServer\Parameters"

done that no luck, something is up, they still appear in comp management