Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Strange Wireless Connection

Strange Wireless Connection

General Specific

A Co-Worker has wireless lan built into his laptop. When booting up his
computer, in his office, he always gets a conncetion to a wireless network
identified as EPSON. He always closes the connection.

I looked at it breifly and noticed there are no additional network
recources available to him when he's connected (such as drives, printers
etc) and there appears to me no activity (upload/download).

There are no wireless devices in the building and I doubt that there are
any in the vicinity.

How do I trace this to it's source.

Timothy Goddard

Disable or delete the connection. Tracing a wireless connection is next to
impossible.

"General Specific" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A Co-Worker has wireless lan built into his laptop. When booting up his
> computer, in his office, he always gets a conncetion to a wireless network
> identified as EPSON. He always closes the connection.
>
> I looked at it breifly and noticed there are no additional network
> recources available to him when he's connected (such as drives, printers
> etc) and there appears to me no activity (upload/download).
>
> There are no wireless devices in the building and I doubt that there are
> any in the vicinity.
>
> How do I trace this to it's source.

Jim Watt

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:04:27 +1300, "Timothy Goddard"
<interfecus@(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Disable or delete the connection. Tracing a wireless connection is next to
>impossible.

Thats not my experience as a radio amateur

You just need some patience a true indication of signal strength
and a directional antenna.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

David Shaw

Not sure, but "Epson" sounds like it's trying to connect to an epson
printer, that the laptop thinks is there. Run a sniffer on it to make
sure, but that would be my guess.

- ds

Redbox

"General Specific" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>A Co-Worker has wireless lan built into his laptop. When booting up his
> computer, in his office, he always gets a conncetion to a wireless network
> identified as EPSON. He always closes the connection.
>
> I looked at it breifly and noticed there are no additional network
> recources available to him when he's connected (such as drives, printers
> etc) and there appears to me no activity (upload/download).
>
> There are no wireless devices in the building and I doubt that there are
> any in the vicinity.
>
> How do I trace this to it's source.

-

Install Netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

cacophony

General Specific wrote:

> A Co-Worker has wireless lan built into his laptop. When booting up his
> computer, in his office, he always gets a conncetion to a wireless network
> identified as EPSON. He always closes the connection.
>
> I looked at it breifly and noticed there are no additional network
> recources available to him when he's connected (such as drives, printers
> etc) and there appears to me no activity (upload/download).
>
> There are no wireless devices in the building and I doubt that there are
> any in the vicinity.
>
> How do I trace this to it's source.

Are you sure its not bluetooth? Epson has a bluetooth accessory that you
connect directly to their printers for wireless printer access.