Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Anti-keylogger?

Anti-keylogger?

nemo outis

In article <KHeld.41185$(E-Mail Removed)> ,
"J.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Already using both of them, but they don't detect keyloggers, as far as I
>know.
>Thanks, anyway.
>
>> Get programs such as Spybot S&D and AdAware and run a scan on a regular
>> basis. You'd be surprised how much you'll find. Some computers even have
>> mild spyware on them when they come from the manufacturer.

There are a number of programs which claim to be keyloggger
detectors, such as Personal Antispy (which is reputed to be good
but not perfect).

However, the best candidate seems, at first glance, to be an
unlikely one. The best keylogger detector is also the best (by
far) anti-trojan: TDS-3 from Diamondcs. TDS can detect most
keyloggers by signature but also has fancy heuristics.

Incidentally their (very new) program ProcessGuard gives superb
backup protection to any firewall by ensuring that permitted
applications cannot be compromised. Not just my opinion either -
see the excellent firewall rating - and severe testing! - site:

www.firewallleaktester.com
[yep, three l's in a row!]

Regards,

PS There is a very long (but unrated) list of those who
supply anti-monitoring software including anti-keyloggers at the
following site:

http://www.anti-keyloggers.com/antim..._products.html
[scroll down a bit]

J.Smith

Thanks for your intput! I appreciate it!

> There are a number of programs which claim to be keyloggger
> detectors, such as Personal Antispy (which is reputed to be good
> but not perfect).
>
> However, the best candidate seems, at first glance, to be an
> unlikely one. The best keylogger detector is also the best (by
> far) anti-trojan: TDS-3 from Diamondcs. TDS can detect most
> keyloggers by signature but also has fancy heuristics.
>
> Incidentally their (very new) program ProcessGuard gives superb
> backup protection to any firewall by ensuring that permitted
> applications cannot be compromised. Not just my opinion either -
> see the excellent firewall rating - and severe testing! - site:
>
> www.firewallleaktester.com
> [yep, three l's in a row!]
>
> Regards,
>
> PS There is a very long (but unrated) list of those who
> supply anti-monitoring software including anti-keyloggers at the
> following site:
>
> http://www.anti-keyloggers.com/antim..._products.html
> [scroll down a bit]

Steven L Umbach

AdAware and Spybot do scan for keyboard loggers though Pest Patrol probably
is better than both in that regard but I do not think it is free any longer
since CA bought it. --- Steve

"J.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fkAkd.7423$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> What is the best anti-keylogger utility out there for win2K?
> Best free one?
>
> Thanks!

dc0de

I don't know what Donnie ((E-Mail Removed)) is talking about, as I
have Symantec Anti-Virus 9, and Symantec Client Security 2.0, and do not
have to worry about keyloggers.

Symantec has a great track record of finding these trojans, and being
able to remove them. And since they own www.securityfocus.com, they
have one of the largest groups of information gatherers in the
Information Security market. I would be wary of any small companies
that claim to do a better job across the board.

Just my 2, YMMV.

Steven L Umbach wrote:
> AdAware and Spybot do scan for keyboard loggers though Pest Patrol probably
> is better than both in that regard but I do not think it is free any longer
> since CA bought it. --- Steve
>

> "J.Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fkAkd.7423$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>
>>What is the best anti-keylogger utility out there for win2K?
>>Best free one?
>>
>>Thanks!

S. Pidgorny

Hi,

comments inline:

"dc0de" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5t2sd.22290$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I don't know what Donnie ((E-Mail Removed)) is talking about, as I
> have Symantec Anti-Virus 9, and Symantec Client Security 2.0, and do not
> have to worry about keyloggers.

Are you serious? Not that I'm a big paranoid, but they can't do anything
with hardware keyloggers, nor they detected a sofware keylogger that my
colleague has written in few hours. They don't analyse API hooks - Symantec
only protects against well-known software keylogger engines.

> Symantec has a great track record of finding these trojans, and being
> able to remove them. And since they own www.securityfocus.com, they
> have one of the largest groups of information gatherers in the
> Information Security market. I would be wary of any small companies
> that claim to do a better job across the board.

Symantec is a good company and nobody claims being better accross the board.
But it is a fact of life that Symantec doesn't do overly good job protecting
againts different kinds of annoying malware/adware/crapware (I'm not too
sure about rootkits). There is no perfect vendor.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

Joe

Crackers tend to target their software too, as they are so popular

LiWiuBai LiWiuBai is offline
Junior Member

check out codefender from encassa. it beats keyloggers by encrypting keystrokes between the keyboard and application so if a keylogger penetrates your antivirus defences then any keystrokes that are stolen are garbled and useless to the keylogger. you can download it free for IE and firefox from download.com