Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Problem routing to a cisco loopback address of *.*.*.255

Problem routing to a cisco loopback address of *.*.*.255

Wazza

Anyone come across a problem routing from windoes 2000 to a cisco loopback
address od *.*.*.255, Windows thinks that it is a broadcast address and
refuses to route it.

TIA

Wazza

Ivan

"Wazza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Anyone come across a problem routing from windoes 2000 to a cisco loopback
> address od *.*.*.255, Windows thinks that it is a broadcast address and
> refuses to route it.

Which netmask do you use on loopback? If it's not a /32, you shouldn't use
that address...

Ivan

Wazza

"Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled in
news:bqfff5$21ngvr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> "Wazza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Anyone come across a problem routing from windoes 2000 to a cisco
>> loopback address od *.*.*.255, Windows thinks that it is a broadcast
>> address and refuses to route it.
>>

> Which netmask do you use on loopback? If it's not a /32, you shouldn't
> use that address...
>
> Ivan

I will try and make this clearer.

There is a router on the network with a loopback address of "*.*.*.255",
i can ping that ok from unix servers, but win2k servers wont. I can ping
"*.*.*.254" from both unix and win2k. Win2k seems to be making a decision
not to allow any traffic to "*.*.*.255". Is this "special" as far as
windows is concerned? Is there a setting i can change to allow traffic to
route to *.*.*.255?

Cheers

Wazza

Mike S. Whitlow

I would configure that loopback address to be something else, anything but *.*.*.0 or *.*.*.255.
Then, as Ivan said, put a /32 (255.255.255.255) mask on it.. Make it a different subnet than the
network your Unix and Win2k boxes are on.. As long as they have the correct default gateway, they
should be able to hit it.. I've done this same setup at home...

I would bet your successful pings from your Unix box aren't getting to your router's loopback, they
are getting to the broadcast IP for your subnet, with success! And your Win2K box is actually
being wiser in this case, saying "Hey, why would I want to ping a broadcast IP anyway??"

In comp.dcom.sys.cisco Wazza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: "Ivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled in
: news:bqfff5$21ngvr$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

:> "Wazza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:> news:Xns944476BF073CEwazza@132.146.191.33...
:>> Anyone come across a problem routing from windoes 2000 to a cisco
:>> loopback address od *.*.*.255, Windows thinks that it is a broadcast
:>> address and refuses to route it.
:>>
:>
:> Which netmask do you use on loopback? If it's not a /32, you shouldn't
:> use that address...
:>
:> Ivan
:>
:>
:>

: I will try and make this clearer.

: There is a router on the network with a loopback address of "*.*.*.255",
: i can ping that ok from unix servers, but win2k servers wont. I can ping
: "*.*.*.254" from both unix and win2k. Win2k seems to be making a decision
: not to allow any traffic to "*.*.*.255". Is this "special" as far as
: windows is concerned? Is there a setting i can change to allow traffic to
: route to *.*.*.255?

: Cheers

: Wazza

Rod Dorman

In article <Xns94448C173BB57wazza@132.146.191.33>,
Wazza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>There is a router on the network with a loopback address of "*.*.*.255",
>i can ping that ok from unix servers, but win2k servers wont. I can ping
>"*.*.*.254" from both unix and win2k. Win2k seems to be making a decision
>not to allow any traffic to "*.*.*.255". Is this "special" as far as
>windows is concerned? Is there a setting i can change to allow traffic to
>route to *.*.*.255?

Is there anything in the configuration that would make it think
"*.*.*.255" is in a /24 network?

--
-- Rod --
rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com

mikester

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Rod Dorman) wrote in message news:<bqg5s4$5ln$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <Xns94448C173BB57wazza@132.146.191.33>,
> Wazza <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >There is a router on the network with a loopback address of "*.*.*.255",
> >i can ping that ok from unix servers, but win2k servers wont. I can ping
> >"*.*.*.254" from both unix and win2k. Win2k seems to be making a decision
> >not to allow any traffic to "*.*.*.255". Is this "special" as far as
> >windows is concerned? Is there a setting i can change to allow traffic to
> >route to *.*.*.255?

> Is there anything in the configuration that would make it think
> "*.*.*.255" is in a /24 network?

We're grasping at straws here, you haven't provided enough information
to get any concise help.

I'll grasp anyway though...

To my knowledge Unix and Windows do not stop you from pinging the
broadcast ip address unless that machine (Unix or windows) knows
specifically that the ip you are trying to ping is a broadcast ip. The
only way that would really be is if the server were physically on that
network. For example, I have a redhat server on 10.0.0.0 /24. The
broadcast on that network is 10.0.0.255 and if I try to ping it I must
put in the "-b" flag to indicate that yes I do want to ping the
broadcast ( I don't think windows does this or cares if you ping the
broadcast). In such a case I would get a response back from every
device on that subnet. Well, lets look at another example. 10.0.0.0
/23, the broadcast there would be 10.0.1.255 not 10.0.0.255.
10.0.0.255 would be a perfectly valid ip address to use as it is in
the middle of the subnet. As would be the case if you used 10.0.0.0/32
as a loopback address - there should be no problem with that as it is
a perfectly valid single ip subnet per the VLSM rules. Just the same,
as stated earlier by someone else - *.*.*.255/32 is a perfectly valid
single ip subnet that would be just fine to use and route as a
loopback address.

Are the UNIX servers you're speaking of on the same subnet as your
windows 2k servers?

What is the exact configuration of that loopback and it's
corresponding routing entry?

for example
loopback0
ip address *.*.*.255 255.255.255.255 ?

router ospf 1 <--assuming ospf
network *.*.*.255 0.0.0.0 area 0?

Also, showing a routing entry from a neighbor router might help too -
maybe you have a routing issue.

Also, if the UNIX and W2K servers are on the same subnet - compare
their configurations - make sure they are itentical (with the
exception of the actual IP assigned to each of course).

Good luck.

The Mikester

Routing the Loopback Ned Cisco 5 02-06-2009 04:43 PM
AAA with loopback as source ip address Guan Foo Wah Cisco 2 01-10-2006 04:52 PM
pinging a loopback address on 3550? joeblow Cisco 0 09-02-2004 04:09 PM
Loopback address Tina MCSE 12 11-26-2003 09:25 PM
Ip Address Mapping Loopback Jeff Fan Cisco 1 07-25-2003 12:45 PM

Advertisments