Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > secure sites

secure sites

jonikal@yahoo.com

Hi everyone,

Here is a current question on posted at AskXperts.

Points are offered by the askers, and anyone is free to ask or answer
free of charge. Anyone who collect an amount of points get $500.

Subject: secure sites
Posted By: langley5441
Value: 500
Question: 1. i cannot access secure part of sites such as booking
train tickets etc.
msg comes up cannot find server / or dns error. [as if i am not
connected to the internet. i have ssl enabled.
2. i cannot download windows updates error msg [ 0x800b0001 ] displayed

If you can help with this question, please go to:
http://www.askxperts.com/ask.asp?mode=view&qid=4

Cheers!

Jon

Moe Trin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

>Here is a current question on posted at AskXperts.

Here is a perfect example of why web help sites are useless.

>Points are offered by the askers, and anyone is free to ask or answer
>free of charge. Anyone who collect an amount of points get $500.

Didn't your mommy ever teach you about "something for nothing" is
almost always a ripoff?

>Question: 1. i cannot access secure part of sites such as booking
>train tickets etc.
>msg comes up cannot find server / or dns error. [as if i am not
>connected to the internet. i have ssl enabled.
>2. i cannot download windows updates error msg [ 0x800b0001 ] displayed

The luser is also to stupid to go to http://groups.google.com/ where
this question has been answered tens of thousands of times.

>If you can help with this question, please go to:

Sorry dude - I don't need to have my email address harvested, nor do
I see ANYTHING useful about your site. Curl up and die.

Old guy

askxperts

Hello Old guy,

Thank you for your warm welcome. As I'm trying to build a community of
experts, I though I should post some questions posted already on the
website. Yes we plan to give money to people who collect points helping
others, and no your email address would not be harvested. You only get
notified on the categories you select.

The useful part about our site is that experts get notified instantly
on their selected categories, and users can post questions and give
away their points to speficic people who they get answers from. Also,
people get to know each other and share their knowledge in a different
way.

Thank you Old guy.

askxperts wrote:

>As I'm trying to build a community of experts, I though I should post
>some questions posted already on the website.

Sorry, but postings like yours, announcing a new and exciting web site
for registered members only come along quite often, and are often
gone or useless when the webmaster looses interest. In the mean time,
Usenet continues on, and on, and you don't have to register.

>The useful part about our site is that experts get notified instantly
>on their selected categories, and users can post questions and give
>away their points to speficic people who they get answers from.

So, the user has to log in to your web site, post the question, and
hope that someone will answer eventually. Sorry, I answer questions in
my free time. I also answer questions on demand, but for that there is
an hourly charge above a minimum. In your original posting, you included
this gem of a question:

>Question: 1. i cannot access secure part of sites such as booking
>train tickets etc.
>msg comes up cannot find server / or dns error. [as if i am not
>connected to the internet. i have ssl enabled.
>2. i cannot download windows updates error msg [ 0x800b0001 ] displayed

I can go to ANY search engine, and enter

'cannot find server' 'dns error'_________ Search Advanced Search
Preferences
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 246,000 for 'cannot find server' 'dns
error'. (0.33 seconds)

or

'error message' 0x800b0001_______________ Search Advanced Search
Preferences
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 28 for 'error message' 0x800b0001. (0.39
seconds)

That happens to be google. So, what exactly does your site offer to the
user, that they can't get anonymously from any of dozens on websites like
google in a tiny fraction of the time? Nevermind, what there is to offer
to anyone with clue enough to answer the questions. What I find funny is
your news header:

You're even _posting_ from google.

By the way:

[compton ~]$ host www.askxperts.com
www.askxperts.com has address 209.133.254.230
[compton ~]$ host 209.133.254.230
Host not found, try again.
[compton ~]$

One might wonder about a web site hosted at a service so clueless that they
can't even set up the DNS servers. The 209.133.224.0/19 block was allocated
to them over three years ago. That also violates RFCs - but what else is new.

Old guy

askxperts

Hello Old guy,

Thanks for your kind reply.

>As I'm trying to build a community of experts, I though I should post
>some questions posted already on the website.

>Sorry, but postings like yours, announcing a new and exciting web site
>for registered members only come along quite often, and are often
>gone or useless when the webmaster looses interest. In the mean time,
>Usenet continues on, and on, and you don't have to register.

-- I'm sorry to hear that. I understand the burden of the registration
part, but it's part of the process of trying to create a legitimate
community and trying to stay away from fake emails or users not
interested in the real use of the site. From my part, I'm not planning
to loose any interest anytime soon, I'm trying to create a platform
to make it easy for people to find answers to their questions.

>The useful part about our site is that experts get notified instantly
>on their selected categories, and users can post questions and give
>away their points to speficic people who they get answers from.

>So, the user has to log in to your web site, post the question, and
>hope that someone will answer eventually.

-- The user log into our website, post a question, and if there are
experts who already signed in to 'watch' a specific category, they'll
get notified by email about the new question.

>Sorry, I answer questions in
>my free time. I also answer questions on demand, but for that there is
>an hourly charge above a minimum.

-- It's the same concept on AskXperts.com. You're welcome to answer any
questions on demand and you can go as far as you want. If you wanted to
extend your services on a deeper level, then you can arrange with users
your extended services.

>In your original posting, you included
>this gem of a question:

>Question: 1. i cannot access secure part of sites such as booking
>train tickets etc.
>msg comes up cannot find server / or dns error. [as if i am not
>connected to the internet. i have ssl enabled.
>2. i cannot download windows updates error msg [ 0x800b0001 ]

displayed

I can go to ANY search engine, and enter

'cannot find server' 'dns error'_________ Search Advanced Search
Preferences
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 246,000 for 'cannot find server' 'dns
error'. (0.33 seconds)

or

'error message' 0x800b0001_______________ Search Advanced Search
Preferences
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 28 for 'error message' 0x800b0001.
(0.39
seconds)

>That happens to be google. So, what exactly does your site offer to

the
>user, that they can't get anonymously from any of dozens on websites

like
>google in a tiny fraction of the time?

-- That google or 'dozens on websites' does not give you specific
answer to your questions in many cases, nor does it have any human
interaction when looking for answers. Wouldn't it apply to newsgroups
as well? How come people cannot find answers on search engines and
they to other places trying to find specific answers to their
questions?

> Nevermind, what there is to offer
>to anyone with clue enough to answer the questions. What I find funny

is
>your news header:

> You're even _posting_ from google.

-- Sorry, I don't have my ISP's username/password to sign in to
newsgroups. But I will soon.

>By the way:

>[compton ~]$ host www.askxperts.com
>www.askxperts.com has address 209.133.254.230
>[compton ~]$ host 209.133.254.230
>Host not found, try again.
>[compton ~]$

>One might wonder about a web site hosted at a service so clueless that

they
>can't even set up the DNS servers. The 209.133.224.0/19 block was

allocated
>to them over three years ago. That also violates RFCs - but what else

is new.

-- I'm not sure how you might be trying to get our DNS information.
Email me and I'll be more than glad to send you all my DNS/hosting
information.

In the end, you're welcome to our website. I extend you an invitation
to ask questions or post answers for other people.
To anyone who would like to help us create a place where people can
find answers to their questions and experts to make money by sharing
their knowledge.

Thank you.

askxperts wrote:

>>[compton ~]$ host www.askxperts.com
>>www.askxperts.com has address 209.133.254.230
>>[compton ~]$ host 209.133.254.230
>>Host not found, try again.
>>[compton ~]$

>-- I'm not sure how you might be trying to get our DNS information.

[compton ~]$ whatis dig dnsquery host nslookup
dig (1) - send domain name query packets to name servers
dnsquery (1) - query domain name servers using resolver
host (1) - look up host names using domain server
nslookup ( - query Internet name servers interactively
[compton ~]$

Those are standard tools that are part of domain name service. They
are a means of asking (among other things) 'what IP address does this
hostname have?' and 'what hostname is associated with this IP address?'.

I don't know how big a block of addresses might be assigned to you, or if
you only have one or two hosts at the hosting service. An ARIN whois query
says the responsibility is to "Setup Site, Inc." in North Brunswick, and
that they haven't SWIPed it to others.

Old guy

askxperts

Thank you Old Guy. As you can see, I don't have anything to hide.
Thanks.

nemo outis

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, "askxperts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Thank you Old Guy. As you can see, I don't have anything to hide.
>Thanks.

Nothing to hide? What a boring life you must lead

Regards,

askxperts

Old Guy,

Is there any way to contact you by email?

Regards.

JM

askxperts wrote:

>Old Guy,
>
>Is there any way to contact you by email?

You didn't look in the header?

Sorry, when my usenet addresses _each_ started getting over two hundred
spams a day , I decided it was not worth the effort or wasting the
bandwidth filtering on mail headers (and the first three lines of the
body). The 'spam/ham' ratio was exceeding 2000:1. Even the business
accounts are over 100:1 now, and I've never allowed my personal mail
address outside of direct family with clue, and a few close friends.

Old guy