Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Responding to Scan

Reply
Thread Tools

Responding to Scan

 
 
Benign Vanilla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
My firewall gets scanned 100's, maybe 1000's of times a week. For the most
part we just ignore the scans/attacks, we review the logs, etc. Does anyone
ever respond? Are there tools, or better yet is there is any benefit to
responding to unsolicted traffic?

I am curious to hear your opinions on this.

BV.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bit Twister
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:44:35 -0500, Benign Vanilla wrote:
> My firewall gets scanned 100's, maybe 1000's of times a week. For the most
> part we just ignore the scans/attacks, we review the logs, etc. Does anyone
> ever respond? Are there tools, or better yet is there is any benefit to
> responding to unsolicted traffic?


For me, I'll report scans from commercial sites to them
suggesting they are cracked. Then again I have time to waste.

> I am curious to hear your opinions on this.


For the rest, large port scans from single ip go to isp,
very common ports are in a blacklist to be dropped and not logged.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Benign Vanilla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004

"Bit Twister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:44:35 -0500, Benign Vanilla wrote:
> > My firewall gets scanned 100's, maybe 1000's of times a week. For the

most
> > part we just ignore the scans/attacks, we review the logs, etc. Does

anyone
> > ever respond? Are there tools, or better yet is there is any benefit to
> > responding to unsolicted traffic?

>
> For me, I'll report scans from commercial sites to them
> suggesting they are cracked. Then again I have time to waste.
>
> > I am curious to hear your opinions on this.

>
> For the rest, large port scans from single ip go to isp,
> very common ports are in a blacklist to be dropped and not logged.


I want to make sure I understand. For example, port 80. You just drop all
traffic and don't even both logging it?

BV.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Watt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-04-2004
On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:44:35 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> is there is any benefit to
>responding to unsolicted traffic?


no. Why be part of the problem
of congestion?
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Benign Vanilla
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-05-2004

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:44:35 -0500, "Benign Vanilla"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > is there is any benefit to
> >responding to unsolicted traffic?

>
> no. Why be part of the problem
> of congestion?


True. Good point. I guess I am just frustrated with all of the traffic
hitting my server. I was hoping to be enlightened to a way of responding
that could potentially help.

BV.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon Scan vs Vuescan, Nikon Scan smears detail, why (0/1) melbjer@hotmail.com Digital Photography 3 08-09-2008 02:52 AM
Best to scan in 48 Bit HDR? Or use 48 Bit + modify during scan? NewScanner Digital Photography 9 01-16-2007 04:07 AM
FF 1.06 stops responding sometimes TheCroW Firefox 19 08-08-2005 12:40 PM
Mozilla not responding whem clicking on a link Johan Firefox 9 01-09-2004 12:48 PM
Progressive scan dvd's on a non-progressive scan tv jack lift DVD Video 7 12-09-2003 06:01 PM



Advertisments