Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > routers and firewalls

routers and firewalls

Christo

i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
(hardware firewall)

I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on the
terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the job

--
Thanks,

Chris.

Martin

Christo wrote:

> i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
> (hardware firewall)
>
> I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
> latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on the
> terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the job

You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.

Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection

Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with
or without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the
same network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not
built for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper
explains how NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an
integrated firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection
for small businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.

http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp

A router with NAT is not like having a firewall

Christo

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clqngh$qdo$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Christo wrote:
>
>> i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
>> (hardware firewall)
>>
>> I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
>> latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on
>> the terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the
>> job
>>

> You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.
>
> Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection
>
> Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with or
> without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the same
> network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not built
> for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper explains how
> NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an integrated
> firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection for small
> businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.
>
> http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp
>
> A router with NAT is not like having a firewall

so with router that includes NAT i would still be wise to also run ZoneAlarm
Pro

this is soley for a home network of 3 PC's and a laptop

i dont really want to go wireless, as its all wired in now with trunks etc
and it would be a job taking it out, cosmetically it would involve re
decorating a few rooms... no way

Martin

Christo wrote:
> "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:clqngh$qdo$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Christo wrote:
>>

>>>i know using routers to access the net with NAT is like having a firewall
>>>(hardware firewall)
>>>
>>>I am totally unfamiliar with it but if i did have a router lets say the
>>>latest linksys adsl router, would i need to have a software firewall on
>>>the terminal it was connected to? or would the NAT on the router do the
>>>job
>>>

>>You might like to read the white paper on Watchguard's web site.
>>
>>Why a Real Firewall Provides the Best Network Protection
>>
>>Many small businesses mistakenly believe that low-end NAT devices with or
>>without stateful packet inspection (SPI) functionality provide the same
>>network protection as a true firewall. But these devices were not built
>>for security and leave networks open to attack. This paper explains how
>>NAT devices work, how firewalls are different, and why an integrated
>>firewall/VPN solution provides the best network protection for small
>>businesses, remote offices, and telecommuters.
>>
>>http://www.watchguard.com/infocenter/whitepapers.asp
>>
>>A router with NAT is not like having a firewall

> so with router that includes NAT i would still be wise to also run ZoneAlarm
> Pro

You'd be wise to run a firewall, not just NAT. Then it comes down to a
risk assessment as to what threats you're protecting against. I can't
help you here.

> this is soley for a home network of 3 PC's and a laptop
>
> i dont really want to go wireless, as its all wired in now with trunks etc
> and it would be a job taking it out, cosmetically it would involve re
> decorating a few rooms... no way

Wireless? Where did that come from?

If you have wired your house you have a great system. Wish my bird would
let me go and cable mine. I can just see a cabinet and patch panel
bolted to my living room wall I did in my last place which I shared
with another IT manager, we structure cabled the house and it worked
great lol Women don't like it for some reason :~