Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > What does "ICMP to 224.0.0.2" mean?

What does "ICMP to 224.0.0.2" mean?

Mozzy

Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
my Sygate firewall

"Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
allow this program to access the network?"

The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
get some sort of info about "multicast".

I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
of thing through?

BRG

Mozzy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable
> modem lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this
> message from my Sygate firewall
>
> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP
> Type 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you
> want to allow this program to access the network?"
>
> The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular.
> I get some sort of info about "multicast".
>
> I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this
> sort of thing through?

I can't answer your question, but it is a great example of why
software firewalls are pretty damned useless.

User doesn't know the right answer and guesses. Its then 50:50 as
whether the user has just ignored a Trojan or inadvertently
disabled a valid software function.

George Hewitt

> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
> 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
> allow this program to access the network?"

I'm not the one (sorry) to fully answer and provide a solution, but...

ICMP is the family name for 'ping,' a way of checking that a connection is
alive. You can see that Google's server is alive by opening up a command
prompt and typing (no quotes) "ping google.com"
You should get 3 responses, showing how long they took etc.

Router Solicitation basically means that windows is looking for a router; I
assume this is just one way of finding an Internet connection. I'm not a
Windows techie so can't fill you in on the details.

224.0.0.2 will be an IP address, it might be a subnet, hopefully someone
else can clear that up.

The picture it gives is that windows is looking for a means of connecting to
the internet, and is probably harmless. As another reply says, software
firewalls complain all the time and I've found (through installing such
firewalls for non-techie friends) that it makes people panic over many
things which just aren't important at all.

David H. Lipman

It's a IP Multicast address.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...oc/ipmulti.htm

224.0.0.2 is used for "All routers on this subnet"

Dave

"Mozzy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:958FE34FC12F351A7E@62.253.162.201...
| Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
| lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
| my Sygate firewall
|
| "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
| 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
| allow this program to access the network?"
|
| The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
| get some sort of info about "multicast".
|
| I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
| of thing through?

mike

windows explorer is looking for a router to connect to the internet.
normally caused by using the favourites pulldown whilst in explorer.

see here:

http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/1364-1.html

try a search engine first, it's normally got the answer.

mike

"Mozzy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
> lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
> my Sygate firewall
>
> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
> 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
> allow this program to access the network?"
>
> The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
> get some sort of info about "multicast".
>
> I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
> of thing through?

---

David H. Lipman

Please don't post sites that want to install Spyware !

If you must reference a site, PLEASE reference an authorative site not a scum site.

Dave

"mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:tPUfd.317$(E-Mail Removed)...
| windows explorer is looking for a router to connect to the internet.
| normally caused by using the favourites pulldown whilst in explorer.
|
| see here:
|
| http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/1364-1.html
|
| try a search engine first, it's normally got the answer.
|
| mike
|
| "Mozzy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
| > lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
| > my Sygate firewall
| >
| > "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
| > 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
| > allow this program to access the network?"
| >
| > The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
| > get some sort of info about "multicast".
| >
| > I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
| > of thing through?
|

| ---

Nick H

Mozzy wrote:
> Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
> lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
> my Sygate firewall
>
> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
> 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
> allow this program to access the network?"
>
> The IP address does not seem to resolve to ayone in particular. I
> get some sort of info about "multicast".
>
> I am a single home PC attached to the Net. Should I allow this sort
> of thing through?

Do you by any chance have Novell Netware installed on your PC?

T. Sean Weintz

mike wrote:
> windows explorer is looking for a router to connect to the internet.
> normally caused by using the favourites pulldown whilst in explorer.
>
> see here:
>
> http://www.talkroot.com/archive/topic/1364-1.html
>
> try a search engine first, it's normally got the answer.
>
> mike

Idiot. That site tries to install an active x control and won't work
without it.

People that use sites like the one above are the same people that make
firewalls so neccessary! (IE: they are clueless!)

T. Sean Weintz

Nick H wrote:
> Mozzy wrote:

> Do you by any chance have Novell Netware installed on your PC?

If he was running netware on his PC, he wouldn't likely be running
intenet explorer and the sygate firewall, now would he? Those are
windows apps. Netware is it's own OS, and you can't run windows apps on it.

I think you might have meant to ask if he was running the Novell
supplied (as opposed to the microsoft supplied) Netware Client?

stephen

"Mozzy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Soon after booting my system and then re-connecting the cable modem
> lead to the PC (as it had unplugged itself) I got this message from
> my Sygate firewall
>
> "Windows Explorer (explorer.exe) is trying to broadcast an ICMP Type
> 10 (Router Solicitation) packet to [224.0.0.2]. Do you want to
> allow this program to access the network?"

icmp is the family of IP protocols that do network maintenance.

The destination address is a local IP multicast - it should never be
forwarded by a router.

cant remeber which one it is but it is either "all routers" or "all hosts"
destination - these are used for setup and group handling.

the PC is either looking for a service or trying to register a multicast
address with a local multicast fowarder.

ICMP router solicitation is the PC trying to find a local default gateway -
maybe you havent configured that on your LAN NIC card?

either way it doesnt seem like something a firewall should worry about if
you are set up to "trust" your local LAN.

--
Regards