Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Stolen email

Stolen email

Rocky

Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there a
security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a updated
firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening email
attachments running unknown programs.
Thanks, any info would be appreciated

Jay Calvert

Actually using your email address as the sender is one of the ways that
spammers try to get through spam filters into your inbox. It is believed
that you might have allowed email from yourself to be whitelisted.

--
Jay Calvert
http://habaneronetworks.com

"Rocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mhRfd.16335$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
> are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
> someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there

> security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a

updated
> firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening

email
> attachments running unknown programs.
> Thanks, any info would be appreciated

Rocky

Thanks. I currently am not running a spam filtering program such as
Mailwasher. So did the person steal my address, or is it an automated
process such as a script that harvests your address from newsgroups, etc? I
have a few programs set up that alert me if email is silently sent, so I
don't think I'm sending them out, it's just a little unnerving to see spam
come in pretending to be from you.

"Jay Calvert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Actually using your email address as the sender is one of the ways that
> spammers try to get through spam filters into your inbox. It is believed
> that you might have allowed email from yourself to be whitelisted.
>
> --
> Jay Calvert
> http://habaneronetworks.com
>

> "Rocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:mhRfd.16335$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
>> are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
>> someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is
>> there

>> security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a

> updated
>> firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening

> email
>> attachments running unknown programs.
>> Thanks, any info would be appreciated

patrickdwyer

Rocky wrote:

> Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
> are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
> someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there
> security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a
> updated
> firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening
> email attachments running unknown programs.
> Thanks, any info would be appreciated

Someone may have you in their address book and their machine is infected
with a virus that scans their computer for addresses. It then sends out an
email that looks like it is being sent from you.

Also, it could be that your computer may be infected with a virus that is
sending email to yourself, like the SoBig virus does.

You may want to try scanning your system with a third party antivirus scan
such as http://www.housecall.antivirus.com. Some of the newer virii are
bypassing or shutting down the antivirus you have installed on your
computer. I speak to several people a day that scan with Norton/McAfee (or
other software) and no virii are found, however, when they run housecall's
webscan, virii are detected.

--
--GhostKnife--

Jim Watt

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:01:45 GMT, "Rocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> it an automated
>process such as a script that harvests your address from newsgroups, etc?

Surely you don't post your email address to newsgroups ?

thats a big invite to the spam man

But turning to the original question, you can expect to receive spam
using your email address and combinations thereof.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Rocky

No, the email you see isn't correct. Someone must have picked up somewhere
down the line.

"Jim Watt" <(E-Mail Removed)_way> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 20:01:45 GMT, "Rocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> it an automated
>>process such as a script that harvests your address from newsgroups, etc?

> Surely you don't post your email address to newsgroups ?
>
> thats a big invite to the spam man
>
> But turning to the original question, you can expect to receive spam
> using your email address and combinations thereof.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

Hairy One Kenobi

"Rocky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mhRfd.16335$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi. I occasionally get emails with my email address as the sender. These
> are spam, and I realize they're spoofing my email, is this just because
> someone gathered my email somewhere and using it to send spam, or is there

> security hole in my system somewhere? I am fully updated and run a

updated
> firewall and virus program. I'm very security conscious about opening

email
> attachments running unknown programs.
> Thanks, any info would be appreciated

Rather than retype the whole thing..