Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > AV and Firewall

AV and Firewall

Carl

Microsoft is giving away Computer Associates AntiVirus
http://www3.ca.com/Press/pressrelease.asp?CID=64025

CA is giving their AV and Firewall free for 1 yoear,
bundled as EZ Armor at one of their websites.

CA has recently acquired Pest Patrol.

I use EZ Armor and Pest Patrol with XP SP2.
Quit using Norton and ZA.
So far, I am very satisfied.

I am not an employee or shill.
Posted for info.

Carl

Vanguardx

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Microsoft is giving away Computer Associates AntiVirus
> http://www3.ca.com/Press/pressrelease.asp?CID=64025
>
> CA is giving their AV and Firewall free for 1 yoear,
> bundled as EZ Armor at one of their websites.

Download all the crap in the MS Partner Pack? Users might not
appreciate the bloat. A better link is:

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

You can download EzArmor (firewall + anti-virus) and select what to
install or you can get the separate components as EzAntiVirus and
EzFirewall. The anti-virus product was their InoculateAV (I think there
was also an intermediate name). The firewall is a rebranded and older
version of ZoneAlarm. It comes as the ZA Pro trial so you'll get
alerted in a month that it will degenerate into the freebie ZA version.
So you might as well as just install EzAntiVirus and download the free
ZA version separately (CA includes an older version so there still might
be problems even with the ZA 5.1 version). Or you could use the Sygate
Personal Firewall (http://smb.sygate.com/) as your firewall.

This 1-year free offer expires February 2005. That means it will no
longer be available for download (whereupon you get sent an e-mail with
the registration code so you'll need to provide a valid e-mail address).
That does not mean an install of the software expires on that date; the
1-year subscription expires 1 year after you install it.

> CA has recently acquired Pest Patrol.

And? CA is another software publisher, like Symantec, that buys
software. This is their function. Nothing new. Unfortunately Pest
Patrol generates too many false positives so I had to discontinue using
it. I didn't have the time to waste hunting down bogus alerts.

See http://www3.ca.com/press/pressrelease.asp?CID=61871 for their press
release about Pest Patrol.

> I use EZ Armor and Pest Patrol with XP SP2.
> Quit using Norton and ZA.

Wrong. You WILL be using ZA, and probably a slightly older version, if
you install the firewall from EzArmor or install EzFirewall.

Carl

"Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> CA is giving their AV and Firewall free for 1 yoear,
>> bundled as EZ Armor at one of their websites.

> Download all the crap in the MS Partner Pack? Users might not appreciate
> the bloat. :

You can pick and choose what you download from the MS Partner Pack
altho I agree it is better to get it from CA if that'a all you want.
Carl

Marc Romero

Don't care much for the ez firewall or zone alarm firewall, but, Computer
Associates etrust antivirus and ez antivirus are top notch programs, that
are well written and very effective.

Marc

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft is giving away Computer Associates AntiVirus
> http://www3.ca.com/Press/pressrelease.asp?CID=64025
>
> CA is giving their AV and Firewall free for 1 yoear,
> bundled as EZ Armor at one of their websites.
>
> CA has recently acquired Pest Patrol.
>
> I use EZ Armor and Pest Patrol with XP SP2.
> Quit using Norton and ZA.
> So far, I am very satisfied.
>
> I am not an employee or shill.
> Posted for info.
>
> Carl

optikl

Vanguardx wrote:

> Wrong. You WILL be using ZA, and probably a slightly older version, if
> you install the firewall from EzArmor or install EzFirewall.

I have EZFirewall installed on one of my systems (for compatibility with
Cisco VPN Client). It's ZA with the software bugs worked out.

news.individual.net

"Carl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft is giving away Computer Associates AntiVirus
> http://www3.ca.com/Press/pressrelease.asp?CID=64025
>
> CA is giving their AV and Firewall free for 1 yoear,
> bundled as EZ Armor at one of their websites.
>
> CA has recently acquired Pest Patrol.
>
> I use EZ Armor and Pest Patrol with XP SP2.
> Quit using Norton and ZA.
> So far, I am very satisfied.
>
> I am not an employee or shill.
> Posted for info.
>
> Carl

Until I can afford more, I am always looking for an upgrade from ZA. How
I'd love to get a Fortigate 60 for my home.