Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How secure are passwords in TweakUI autologon?

How secure are passwords in TweakUI autologon?

Franklin

In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
you having to log on.

How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?

Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
XP's own password store?

David H. Lipman

They are not !

They are Clear Text.

Dave

"Franklin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
| automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
| you having to log on.
|
| How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
| how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?
|
| Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
| easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
| XP's own password store?

Colin Nash [MVP]

"Franklin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
> automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
> you having to log on.
>
> How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
> how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?
>
> Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
> easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
> XP's own password store?

Who cares if they get the password? You might as well leave your password
blank if you aren't going to be typing it in. (Unless your computer is on a
network that you don't 100% control.)

By the way, TweakUI just gives you an easy interface to edit certain parts
of the registry. It doesn't actually hold values such as your password.
You can set up an auto-login without using TweakUI.

Anyway, as mentioned, its not very secure. But then again, once someone has
physical access to the computer they could get into it anyway, without much
trouble, regardless of whether a password needs to be typed or not.

Vanguardx

"Franklin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:1098397381.0KVgoBbDTAug35loyXbVsw@teranews:
> In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
> automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
> you having to log on.
>
> How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
> how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?
>
> Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
> easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
> XP's own password store?

Why are you concerned about security? Obviously you want to bypass as
much security as possible by letting ANYONE to get into your auto-logon
account - and you're probably doing that with an administrator account,
too. Even if not auto-logging into an admin account, you are letting
ANYONE login to the auto-logon account who can then change the password,
disable auto-logon, and that is no longer an account that you get to use
anymore.

Era

Vanguardx wrote:
> "Franklin" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:1098397381.0KVgoBbDTAug35loyXbVsw@teranews:
>
>> In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
>> automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
>> you having to log on.
>>
>> How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
>> how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?
>>
>> Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
>> easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
>> XP's own password store?

> Why are you concerned about security? Obviously you want to bypass as
> much security as possible by letting ANYONE to get into your auto-logon
> account - and you're probably doing that with an administrator account,
> too. Even if not auto-logging into an admin account, you are letting
> ANYONE login to the auto-logon account who can then change the password,
> disable auto-logon, and that is no longer an account that you get to use
> anymore.

Can a designated autologon account (eg a basic user account-with no
admin rights) change password/etc... when the desiganted have NO
admin/oper rights??????

Colin Nash [MVP]

"Era" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4178735c$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Can a designated autologon account (eg a basic user account-with no admin
> rights) change password/etc... when the desiganted have NO admin/oper
> rights??????

The account can change its own password... but an admin account could then
change it back.

T. Sean Weintz

Franklin wrote:
> In TweakUI for XP there is a section near the end where it will
> automatically enter your password for you when you boot up to save
> you having to log on.
>
> How secure is this password being kept by TweakUI when compared to
> how securely my XP Pro keeps logon passwords?
>
> Am I unwise to trust my passwords to TweakUI because it is much
> easier for someone to break into TweakUI's password store than into
> XP's own password store?

Not secure at all. They are stored unencrypted in the registry.
TweakUI does not have a password store. It simply provides a nice gui
for twaeking the autologon registry settings, which are under
HKlocalMachine/software/microsoft/windowsnt/currentversion/netlogon, if
I recall correctly.

rsergio rsergio is offline
Junior Member

Hey guys, take a look at the LogonExpert ( logonexpert.com ) tool that encrypts the credentials with AES