Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > DIAL UP NETWORKING PROBLEMS

DIAL UP NETWORKING PROBLEMS

Colin Sandall

A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that cost
god knows how much per minute.

I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's going
to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
after the machine has been rebooted.

I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
does anyone know how to get rid of this?

Thanks.

Colin

Jim Watt

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:43:23 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Sandall"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
>in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
>Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that cost
>god knows how much per minute.
>
>I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's going
>to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
>after the machine has been rebooted.
>
>I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
>sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
>does anyone know how to get rid of this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colin

spybot

Go to google and find it, its free.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

donnie

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
>in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
>Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that cost
>god knows how much per minute.
>
>I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's going
>to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
>after the machine has been rebooted.
>
>I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
>sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
>does anyone know how to get rid of this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colin

#####################
Check the registry
HKEYLOCALMACHINE
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run
Also, it there is an autoexec.bat, config.sys, win.ini or msconfig,
look there too.
donnie.

David Shaw

I'd try running spybot search and destroy and adaware and see if it
works. If not, I'm not sure what to tell you. Unplug the modem and get
cable instead?

-ds

Colin Sandall

Dear All,

Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
worked.

I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.

This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
this extent it is not a problem.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Colin

"Colin Sandall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cktlsr$rjh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
> in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
> Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that

cost
> god knows how much per minute.
>
> I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's

going
> to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
> after the machine has been rebooted.
>
> I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
> sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
> does anyone know how to get rid of this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colin

Rasta Robert

On 2004-10-18, Colin Sandall <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
> worked.
>
> I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
> to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
> Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
> from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.
>
> This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
> Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
> this extent it is not a problem.
>
> Any more suggestions?

Try to scan with Adaware, Spybot S&D and/or Spysweeper after booting into
safe mode.

RR--//->
--
<http://rr.www.cistron.nl/> -!- <http://www.rr.dds.nl/>

Chuck

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:15:05 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Sandall"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Dear All,
>
>Many thanks for the suggestions you have made. Unfortunately, none of them
>worked.
>
>I had already tried running Track Zapper and had installed System Mechanic
>to see exactly what was running at startup. Still couldn't get rid of it.
>Today I tried Spy Bot and that didn't work. I then restored the machine
>from before the problem started and ran spy bot again. Still no joy.
>
>This is really bugging me. Somehow the problem is connected with Outlook
>Express. The dialler gets changed to one that is obviously a scam so to
>this extent it is not a problem.
>
>Any more suggestions?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Colin

Colin,

Dialer hijacks are sometimes the devil to remove. You may need a number of
tools, but I'd personally recommend HijackThis with expert advice as a final
tool, even if the others immediately appear to solve the problem.

Please use HijackThis, and post link(s) to your forum post(s) here in your
reply.

Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
AdAware <http://www.lavasoftusa.com/>
CWShredder <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4086.html>
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
LSP-Fix and WinsockXPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
Spybot S&D <http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download>
Stinger <http://us.mcafee.com/virusInfo/default.asp?id=stinger>

Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
downloaded file there. AdAware, CWShredder, and Spybot S&D have install
routines - run them. The other downloaded programs can be copied into, and run
from, any convenient folder.

First, run Stinger. Have it remove any problems found.

Next, close all Internet Explorer and Outlook windows, and run CWShredder. Have
it fix all problems found.

Next, run AdAware. First update it ("Check for updates now"), configure for
full scan (<http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=5877>), then scan. When
scanning finishes, remove all Critical Objects found.

Next, run Spybot S&D. First update it ("Search for updates"), then run a scan
("Check for problems"). Trust Spybot, and delete everything ("Fix Problems")
that is displayed in Red.

Then, run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
HJT Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
<http://www1.spywareinfo.com/articles/hijacked/prevent.php>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Finally, improve your chances for the future.

Harden your browser. There are various websites which will check for
vulnerabilities, here are three which I use.
http://www.jasons-toolbox.com/BrowserSecurity/
http://bcheck.scanit.be/bcheck/
https://testzone.secunia.com/browser_checker/

Block Internet Explorer ActiveX scripting from hostile websites (Restricted
Zone).
<https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/main.htm> (IE-SpyAd)

Block known dangerous scripts from installing.
<http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html>

Block known spyware from installing.
<http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html>

Make sure that the spyware detection / protection products that you use are
reliable:

Harden your operating system. Check at least monthly for security updates.
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Block possibly dangerous websites with a Hosts file. Three Hosts file sources I
use:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
(The third is included, and updated, with Spybot (see above)).

Maintain your Hosts file (merge / eliminate duplicate entries) with:
eDexter <http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/get_hosts.html>
Hostess <http://accs-net.com/hostess/>

Secure your operating system, and applications. Don't use, or leave activated,
any accounts with names or passwords with trivial (guessable) values. Don't use
an account with administrative authority, except when you're intentionally doing
administrative tasks.

Use common sense. Yours. Don't install software based upon advice from unknown
sources. Don't install free software, without researching it carefully. Don't
open email unless you know who it's from, and how and why it was sent.

Educate yourself. Know what the risks are. Stay informed. Read Usenet, and
various web pages that discuss security problems. Check the logs from the
security products that you use regularly, look for things that don't belong, and
take action when necessary.

How did I get infected in the first place?
http://forums.net-integration.net/in...showtopic=3051
Essential tips for infection prevention
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=24339

Cheers,
Chuck

Christo

"Colin Sandall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cktlsr$rjh$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend of mine uses Virgin Internet and has dial up security. Somewhere
> in his system is a piece of software that changes his dial up setting from
> Virgin to another number which is obviously one of these diallers that
> cost
> god knows how much per minute.
>
> I've tried getting rid of it but it keeps coming back. You know it's
> going
> to happen because it seems to take ages whenever he starts outlook express
> after the machine has been rebooted.
>
> I've got around it by setting up another dial up connection so that the 2
> sit side-by-side and he just makes sure that he selects the right one, but
> does anyone know how to get rid of this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Colin

download spybot search and destroy its free, make sure its 100% updated on
the proper internet connection

go to run type 'msconfig'

click on the BOOT.INI header and select /safeboot

restart the puter... run spybot this should clean up any bad things anywhere
on the computer.

you should also after doing this and restarting in normal mode

to do this go to msconfig and untick /safeboot

type msconfig again whilst in normal mode and go to Start up header

look down that list, maybe google everything on the list and if anything
comes up bad uncheck it

another idea after doing this is to right click on my computer and go to
system restore header and disable it

also go to C:\documents and settings\YOUR USER\

then click tools and folder options click view

and in hidden folders and files check

show hidden folders and files

this should allow you to see a folder in the C:\documents and settings\YOU
USER\ a folder called Local Settings

click thi folder

in this folder there will be a folder called temp

open temp select all of the files within the temp folder and delete them

this can be done in safemode and really should be as some of the files in
temp may be in use (bad files generally)

do not delete the actualy folder just the contents of it

you should also get a firewall and stop going on dodgey porn sites