Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Firewall ???

Firewall ???

Jason

* prettygirl <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> Jason <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:b5GdncPMddF6v-zcRVn-
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> * prettygirl <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> "johns" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ckl0ce$1gd8$1

> @news.fsr.net:

>>> Really? How interesting.
>>> And just how would you go about doing that?

>> Does anyone else not smell a trolll at work or is it just me?
>>
>> Jason
>>

> Is it just me or does anyone else smell someone who feels threatened?

lol threatened? Me from you? Thanks for the laugh prettygirl. I still
have my suspecions that you're bored though and trolling.

Jason

Voodoo

Having a firewall is still your choice to have it or not, but since you
posted this piece of info, I guess there would be a lot of people trying to
prove to you that having a firewall is a good idea than not having one.

The World Wide Web is basically like the Wild Wild West, saying not having a
firewall is saying "Hey I've got enough skills and a fast horse to ride, why
do I need a gun". That sounds fine to some good folks, but there are some
bandits that would say, "Hey, I am bored let see what to do today...
Ahhaaahh!!, we can make him dance.." so they pull out the 6 shooter and made
you dance.

But, hey.. it's still your choice.

"prettygirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Windows98
> Roadrunner cable subscriber
> All MS Windows patches installed
> AV program up to date
> TCP/IP bindings secure
> Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
>
> So why do I need to run a firewall?

claudel

>"prettygirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Windows98
> Roadrunner cable subscriber
> All MS Windows patches installed
> AV program up to date
> TCP/IP bindings secure
> Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
>
> So why do I need to run a firewall?

Why do you need a door with a secure lock on your home?

Claude

Celtic Leroy

donnie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:58:34 GMT, Celtic Leroy
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>There are many
>>ways to gain access to a system via the internet (Including remote
>>Logon) which do not require sharing or a programmatic presense.

>######################
>It's not the first time, someone like yourself has claimed that they
>could hack a windows machine under those circumstances but when
>pressed for details, they never provide them.

If there's one thing that pushes my buttons, it's some idiot who puts
words in my mouth. I never said I could "hack a windows machine".
What I said is "There are many ways to gain access to a system..."

You want details? Ask a hacker. But, I will say that I've seen it
done...so I know it can be done. Enough said.

Celtic Leroy

"\"Crash\" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>"Wouldn't" means that he has a choice and decides not to. I'm sure
>>you meant "Couldn't", but even then you'd be wrong. There are many
>>ways to gain access to a system via the internet (Including remote
>>Logon) which do not require sharing or a programmatic presense.

>All of which require an open port and something to receive an input.
>
>>donnie, rather than making grand, all encompasing statements without
>>the advantage of knowledge of the subject, it may better help this
>>community if you just didn't respond. Then again, there are quite a
>>few posters that should do that when the subject is beyond them.

>Advice you would do well to follow.
>
>>Those that know what I'm talking about are excluded from the equation!

>Those that know what you are talking about know that you don't.

Just because I've not actually hacked a system in that way (actually,
I've never hacked a system at all...I've never had the desire to),
doesn't mean it can't be done. And, just because I've never hacked a
system before, doesn't mean I'm not capable of doing it once the
knowledge is acquired.

I know that a person can travel at four times the speed of sound, even
though I've never traveled that fast myself. Most people never will
travel that fast because they would require something almost noone
else has except the military...a fast enough jet.

I've seen it (hacking) done by others (I can't say who or how), I know
it can be done, I don't have to have done it myself in order to relate
that info to others. I've even seen a system opened up where a
firewall existed.

Now please clarify what you mean...this system cannot be hacked
because I've never hacked a system? or you don't know how? or what?

I suppose next you'll try to tell me the Earth is flat because you've
never gone around it? Or that there are no other planetary systems in
the universe, because you've never been to one?

\Crash\ Dummy

>Now please clarify what you mean...this system cannot be hacked
>because I've never hacked a system? or you don't know how? or what?

I'll keep it simple. A system which is not accepting externally initiated
connections (all port are closed), cannot be cracked.
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

nemo outis

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "\"Crash\"
Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Now please clarify what you mean...this system cannot be hacked
>>because I've never hacked a system? or you don't know how? or what?

>I'll keep it simple. A system which is not accepting externally initiated
>connections (all port are closed), cannot be cracked.

If it is rigorously true that the system will not accept
externally initiated connections, then, indeed, it cannot be
cracked - through network ports from the outside, that is!

However, if the system is still connected to a network, ports
closed or not, then you are guilty of the logical fallacy of
"petitio principii," of begging the question. Whether all the
ports ARE utterly closed and unopenable is precisely the question
and it just won't do to assume that question away!

And, even if your (rash and presumptuous) premise is true, that
only means that one avenue to cracking the system is closed -
there may be many others!

Regards,

\Crash\ Dummy

>And, even if your (rash and presumptuous) premise is true, that
>only means that one avenue to cracking the system is closed -
>there may be many others!

Well, y'all go ahead and crack them computers. I don't feel like arguing the
point any more.
(E-Mail Removed)?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
http://lists.gpick.com

prettygirl

"TopDog" <dlh7_at_yahoo_dot_com> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Prettygirl: Quickly sell or throw away your computer! You should not
> use a computer.

And why is that?

prettygirl

(E-Mail Removed) (claudel) wrote in news:ckvf0b$71v$1
@bolt.sonic.net:

>>"prettygirl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Windows98
>> Roadrunner cable subscriber
>> All MS Windows patches installed
>> AV program up to date
>> TCP/IP bindings secure
>> Netbios over TCP/IP disabled
>>
>> So why do I need to run a firewall?

> Why do you need a door with a secure lock on your home?
>

> Claude

But my "home" has no doors.