Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Port Security question

Port Security question

CB

I am using just the Win XP firewall because the ZoneAlarm Pro I
bought/installed seems to use a lot of memory & I'm not sure how to set it
up anyway.
My question is: would it be wise to use ZAP in conjunction with the WinXP
firewall?

I ran tests from the Shields Up site with just the WinXP firewall and it
says:
Port 139 doesn't appear to exist
Can't connect to NetBIOS

Common Ports:
Port 1025 is open
Stealthed 3 ports
Closed 22 ports

Is Port 1025 being open enough of a concern to run ZAP all the time?

Thank you

andy smart

Hairy One Kenobi

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using just the Win XP firewall because the ZoneAlarm Pro I
> bought/installed seems to use a lot of memory & I'm not sure how to set it
> up anyway.
> My question is: would it be wise to use ZAP in conjunction with the WinXP
> firewall?
>
> I ran tests from the Shields Up site with just the WinXP firewall and it
> says:
> Port 139 doesn't appear to exist
> Can't connect to NetBIOS
>
> Common Ports:
> Port 1025 is open
> Stealthed 3 ports
> Closed 22 ports
>
> Is Port 1025 being open enough of a concern to run ZAP all the time?

1025 was almost certainly your connection to the website itself - the test
is useful in certain ways, but is about as sophisticated as a plank.

If you have doubts in your mind, then have a friend with the same ISP run a
"proper" port scan. There are many scanners available, including a
knocked-up-in-an-hour version on my own website.

I say "the same ISP", as your ISP contract probably explicitly forbids
trying such things.. ;o)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!