Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > processes in winxp

processes in winxp

A. Schleifer

Hi.
Got some questions about virusses and tasks concerning windows, xp in
particular:
Will any process (including viruses/worms) be displayed in the winxp task
manager/process tab? Or is there a way to make a process not appear there?

I got like 6 "svchost.exe" in my taskmanager... is this normal?

thx in advance...

Leythos

In article <416803c4$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi.
> Got some questions about virusses and tasks concerning windows, xp in
> particular:
> Will any process (including viruses/worms) be displayed in the winxp task
> manager/process tab? Or is there a way to make a process not appear there?
>
> I got like 6 "svchost.exe" in my taskmanager... is this normal?
>
> thx in advance...

SVCHOST can hide many things - and it's not alone. I found a Ad product
that was running behind "explorer.exe" which is the desktop.

I'm sure this machine is clean, running XP and several other apps, and
it's showing 6 SVCHOST.exe's also.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Allen

Try this web page, it has most process's.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm

"A. Schleifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:416803c4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> Got some questions about virusses and tasks concerning windows, xp in
> particular:
> Will any process (including viruses/worms) be displayed in the winxp task
> manager/process tab? Or is there a way to make a process not appear there?
>
> I got like 6 "svchost.exe" in my taskmanager... is this normal?
>
> thx in advance...

Locke Nash Cole

A very good free 3rd party program to view running processes is Process
Explorer, it can show you what's hiding behind any process.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml

-L

"A. Schleifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:416803c4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> Got some questions about virusses and tasks concerning windows, xp in
> particular:
> Will any process (including viruses/worms) be displayed in the winxp task
> manager/process tab? Or is there a way to make a process not appear there?
>
> I got like 6 "svchost.exe" in my taskmanager... is this normal?
>
> thx in advance...

Use.Netuser.de

"A. Schleifer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:416803c4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
> Got some questions about virusses and tasks concerning windows, xp in
> particular:
> Will any process (including viruses/worms) be displayed in the winxp task
> manager/process tab? Or is there a way to make a process not appear there?
>
> I got like 6 "svchost.exe" in my taskmanager... is this normal?

6 Mmm
Only 4 here on all 3 PC's .. but then svchost assuming that is the EXACT name as a
rule is no issue.