Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > how safe is browsing newsgroups?

how safe is browsing newsgroups?

David H. Lipman

From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be available for Win98,
WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version for them.

Dave

"Jbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I wish there was a way to prevent html(reading) in the Newsreader but allow
| it in Mail using OE. The only option is text only for both. The new sp2
| blocks a lot of stuff in Mail now.

David H. Lipman

Don't forget the Swen worm which will finds email addresses in News Groups and will send
itself to the email addresses thus found. One it does send itself to the found email it
will either masquerade as a Microsoft patch or as failed mail.

Dave

"SteveB" <sbrads@nildramDOTcoDOTuk> wrote in message
news:415f9b30$0$118$(E-Mail Removed).. .
| Leaving your actual e-mail address in messages sent to newsgroups is a sure
| way of getting spammed when the bots find it.
|

| "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| > Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?
| >
| > thanks
| > Andy

Vanguardx

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
wrote in newsAT7d.515$gS1.314@trndny04:
> From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be
> available for Win98, WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version
> for them.

I doubt Microsoft would waste its time developing a service pack for
dead products. End of mainstream support (see http://snipurl.com/s43)
is:

Windows 98/98SE - June 2002
Windows ME - December 2003
Windows 2000 - June 2005

Windows XP SP-2 came out August 2004. I doubt they'll even waste time
to develop another service pack for Windows 2000 since that product
would go dead a couple months after they would have another service pack
for it.

Celtic Leroy

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (keexer) wrote:

>hey leythos I just checked my newsgroup reader options and i saw i had
>a check in the box called "launch binary attachments". i saw another
>option box that read "doubleclick on message lauches binary
>attachment".
>
>are these the options that should turned off if i don't want to render
>html?
>gina

Geeze, very seldom will you get a strait answer in a new group! (as
evidenced by the follow-up messages you've gotten)

Gina, no. These options are for opening up the attachments, not for
reading the message in text verses html formats. Forte does not read
the messages in html (you are safe there). But you should also NOT
open attachments directly from any reader. That would be a bad thing.
Although Forte will warn you against opening an attachment that is an
..exe .com .scr .bat... as they can be carriers of virus'.

Celtic Leroy

"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be available for Win98,
>WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version for them.
>
>Dave

GOOD!!! No one should be allowed to use OE, EVER!! And I'm happy with
not getting any new releases of IE (I use Win2K).

You've all heard the sayings "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". Well
I know another, specific to programming, and it applies absolutely to
MS products..."On each new release, all bets are off!"

QWENTHY_123XZY

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:27:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Andy)
wrote:

>Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?
>
>thanks
>Andy

People know where you are from by reading the header field when you
post.
For example you are using an IP address that is listed as being from
Perth Australia.

So posting can reveal more information about yourself than just
reading. Header fields can be changed by poster in different ways.

David H. Lipman

All assuming; a proxy, remailer or "mail to news" service is not used.

Dave

"QWENTHY_123XZY" <QWENTHY_123XZY@Bills_house.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 10:27:22 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Andy)
| wrote:
|
| >Does anyone know what security implcartions there are on newsgroups?
| >
| >thanks
| >Andy
|
| People know where you are from by reading the header field when you
| post.
| For example you are using an IP address that is listed as being from
| Perth Australia.
|
| So posting can reveal more information about yourself than just
| reading. Header fields can be changed by poster in different ways.

Chuck

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 21:27:58 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>All assuming; a proxy, remailer or "mail to news" service is not used.
>
>Dave

Newscene or Supernews does not post ip address in headers either.

register@xp_or_else.com

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 10:56:11 -0500, "Vanguardx" <see_signature> wrote:

>"David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net>
>wrote in newsAT7d.515$gS1.314@trndny04:
>> From what I have read, the IE6 SP2/OE6 SP2 in WinXP SP2 will NOT be
>> available for Win98, WinME and Win2K and IE6 SP1 is the last version
>> for them.
>>

>I doubt Microsoft would waste its time developing a service pack for
>dead products. End of mainstream support (see http://snipurl.com/s43)
>is:
>
> Windows 98/98SE - June 2002
> Windows ME - December 2003
> Windows 2000 - June 2005
>
>Windows XP SP-2 came out August 2004. I doubt they'll even waste time
>to develop another service pack for Windows 2000 since that product
>would go dead a couple months after they would have another service pack
>for it.

I wonder how many customers Microsoft will lose when they kill off
windows2000 ?