Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Best cookie/popup/ad blocker...

Best cookie/popup/ad blocker...

NonDisputandum.com

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:01:22 +0100, Peter Houppermans
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you tried Firefox? That gives you a reasonably fine control over what
>you download when you browse to the point of even disallowing images from
>certain sites. You can further sharpen it up with the add-ons (plugins)
>that allow even more intelligence.
>
>(sorry if I kicked in an open door, but it has worked for me quite well on
>both Windows and Linux).

I could not agree more

--
www.nondisputandum.com - soft revieuws:
freeware to Protect & Clean your PC

Johnny Canuck

thanks for the link, that's a useful website.

JC

> read my revieuws:
> http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spyware.html
> greetz
> --
> www.nondisputandum.com - soft revieuws:
> freeware to Protect & Clean your PC
> freeware Office tools & Webbuilding aid
> + the Internet Addiction Test

David Shaw

A note to firefox users: a patch has come out to fix some
vulnerabilities in 1.0PR. If you don't have 1.0PR, get it now- if you
do, go to Tools -> Options -> Advanced, and then check for an update.
One will be found, patch yourself, and welcome to the most secure
browser in the world!

-ds

NonDisputandum.com

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:13:38 GMT, "Johnny Canuck"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>thanks for the link, that's a useful website.
>
>JC
>>
>> read my revieuws:
>> http://www.nondisputandum.com/html/anti_spyware.html
>> greetz
>> --
>> www.nondisputandum.com - soft revieuws:
>> freeware to Protect & Clean your PC
>> freeware Office tools & Webbuilding aid
>> + the Internet Addiction Test

I knew that
--
www.nondisputandum.com - soft revieuws:
freeware to Protect & Clean your PC
freeware Office tools & Webbuilding aid
+ the Internet Addiction Test

Douglas Clinton

On 2004-09-29, Johnny Canuck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi, I did not buy a new version of Norton Internet Security for a couple of
> years now ever since I switched to ZoneAlarm for firewall protection since
> it is much easier to use then Norton, works just as well, and FREE!
>
> I am looking for a piece of software that does the following features below
> like Norton Internet Security, but I DO NOT need a firewall or antivirus
> software as I have 2 preffered choices already (Zonealarm free for firewall,
> AVG for antivirus).
>
> QUESTION:
> If anyone has recommendations on a software program(s) that can fufill the
> needs below the way I specified please let me know. I don't mind buying the
> software program as long as it fufills my needs:
>
> 1) PopUp Blocker (Except from trusted sites)
> 2) Cookie blocker and cookie permissions for trusted sites.
> 3) Adware blocker
>
> Norton Internet security did the above features.
>
> In particular, I loved 2 features of Norton Internet Security.
> a) The way NIS prompted you if you want to always accept a cookie
> from a certain site or block it.
> That way I could choose which sites are the "trusted" sites and
> which sites all cookies should be blocked from.
> b) As well, Norton Internet Securirity allowed you to export or
> import settings in case you do a reinstall or put in a new version, etc.,
> that way you don't have to redo any of your cookie overides. Being able to
> do this import or export of settings is a bonus since If I had to reinstall
> Windows it would be a bit of a chore to add the "trusted sites" again and
> makes managing multiple computers a lot easier.
>
> I'd prefer a free program BUT my most important requirement is that the
> program needs to work WELL (like the current software I use that is listed
> below) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I thought about
> Norton Internet Security, but I prefer ZoneAlarm free firewall to their own
> firewall software and I don't like the fact that it is so hard to prevent
> Norton Internet Security from installing the antivirus as well.
>
> I use Spybot (search and destroy) and Ad-Aware to remove spyware (after the
> fact).
>
> Thanks
>
> JC

The FireFox browser and its adblock plugin are all you need.
That will take care of all your requirements...and its free!

--
Patriot Act my ASS! Just burn the Reichstag and get it over with
Road Rage, or, when bad things don't happen to morons