Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > HELP CAN'T GET INTO PROGRAM FILES

HELP CAN'T GET INTO PROGRAM FILES

Dee

My computer has been attacked by spyware and now I can't get into any of my
startup files. Can get on here, that's about it. Can't go into program
files to delete anything. Can't delete adaware. Zip. Can anybody help me
restore?

donnie

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:24:05 -0500, "Dee" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>My computer has been attacked by spyware and now I can't get into any of my
>startup files. Can get on here, that's about it. Can't go into program
>files to delete anything. Can't delete adaware. Zip. Can anybody help me
>restore?

###################
You can start by telling us what version of windows. In the meantime
you can try booting into safe mode or renaming the startup folder so
it doesn't start. Can you run regedit? If so, go into
HKLM
Software
Microsoft
Windows
CurrentVersion
Run
Many of those viruses hide there. If you have an older version of
windows w/ msconfig, autoexec.bat, config.sys, look in one of those.
Get back to us.

KG6VQE

I have found two programs that I love to use in this case...They are at the
sysinternals.com website... One is "AUTORUNS", and the other is "PROCESS
EXPLORER". They have versions for Win9x and WinNT (NT, 2000, XP).
The Autoruns will show you what starts up when you start Windows. It shows
you the startup files, and all files in the registry, under the RUN, and
RUNONCE menues.
Process Explorer, is like the NT/2000/XP Task Manager, but on steriods. It
will show you what is running, what company it is from (MS, Trend Micro,
Norton, etc), and allows you to KILL off the offending task.

I usually keep only those files I know, and kill everything else, not made
by MS, or other known entity.

I then run a SPYWARE program (Adaware, etc). And kill all SPYWARE. Then
delete your Windows/Temp files (where most junk lies). Lastely, dump your
Internet Cache.

This takes care of about 95% of problems. If the Virus/Program cannot
autostart, then ask yourself "What am I doing to initiate the attack".

I assume you have a good AntiVirus program. If not try
http://housecall.antivirus.com for a free online one. It will clean any
virus off the system.

Lastly use Windows update to keep current on patches.