Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Backup - GHOST or Acronis True Image? For win xp.

Backup - GHOST or Acronis True Image? For win xp.

Ritter197

What is the better software? Ghost version 9.0 or True Image version 8.0 by
Acronis?
To be used with windows xp and an external 80GB hard drive.Make an image and
also be able to restore individual files AND copy all files while in
windows.
Have:
Intel Pentium 2800 computer. 512 MB RAM
Cable

Ben

Ritter197 wrote:
> What is the better software? Ghost version 9.0 or True Image version 8.0 by
> Acronis?
> To be used with windows xp and an external 80GB hard drive.Make an image and
> also be able to restore individual files AND copy all files while in
> windows.
> Have:
> Intel Pentium 2800 computer. 512 MB RAM
> Cable

I tried GHOST a few weeks before.
It is very easy to use, have a friendly interface.
With an image made, you don't have to activate Windows.
If you are afraid of MS will be closed next month, it is a good tool for
you.
But GHOST is more expansive.
It is more expansive than antivirus.
But it is cheaper than Windows.
It is more expansive than a case.
But it is cheaper than a RAM.
GHOST is cool and good, you must try it.

Don MI

"Ritter197" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the better software? Ghost version 9.0 or True Image version 8.0
> by Acronis?
> To be used with windows xp and an external 80GB hard drive.Make an image
> and also be able to restore individual files AND copy all files while in
> windows.
> Have:
> Intel Pentium 2800 computer. 512 MB RAM
> Cable

Which image program you use is strictly an IMO.

The current versions of Norton Ghost are Version 9 and Ghost 2003.

Ghost Version 9 creates an image from within Windows XP. Some do like that
approach as they think a file could change during the image process. I have
not had a problem with Ghost Version 9 or its prior PowerQuest Drive Image
7. However, I cannot disprove the concern. Ghost Version 9 allows you to
restore selected folders and files and do incremental image backups.

Ghost 2003 reboots your computer to a version of DOS {not MS-DOS} to create
the image. Ghost 2003 has an utility to restore selected folders and files.

The retail package for Ghost Version 9 contains both Version 9 and Ghost
2003.

Others have a strong preference to alternate image programs.

Don

Ben

Ritter197 wrote:
> What is the better software? Ghost version 9.0 or True Image version 8.0 by
> Acronis?
> To be used with windows xp and an external 80GB hard drive.Make an image and
> also be able to restore individual files AND copy all files while in
> windows.
> Have:
> Intel Pentium 2800 computer. 512 MB RAM
> Cable

I think a fresh installation is better than GHOST restoration.
First, you don't backup viruses.
Second, you can put in new informations during installation.
The reasons for you to use GHOST is important.
The only good reason for you to use it is backing up hard disk.
Because backing up hard disk is allowed while backing up a CD is not
allowed.
What I said about activation was not good.
Because Win XP will call for an activation if you change too many hardwares.
I saw it on the MS web.

Don MI

"Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I think a fresh installation is better than GHOST restoration.
> First, you don't backup viruses.
> Second, you can put in new informations during installation.
> The reasons for you to use GHOST is important.
> The only good reason for you to use it is backing up hard disk.
> Because backing up hard disk is allowed while backing up a CD is not
> allowed.
> What I said about activation was not good.
> Because Win XP will call for an activation if you change too many
> hardwares.
> I saw it on the MS web.

Total trash.

"Because Win XP will call for an activation if you change too many
hardwires"

You image a system before and after a hardware change. The before image is
to be able to return to the prior configuration if the hardware install
causes a problem. The after image is your new standard. If you install new
hardware and Windows XP does not require a re-activation, then the after new
hardware image will not require a re-activation.

"The only good reason for you to use it is backing up hard disk."

So, that is what an image program does.

"Because backing up hard disk is allowed while backing up a CD is not
allowed."

Other program will backup{copy} a CD if you so choose.

Don

Ben

Don MI <> wrote:
> "Ben" <000@000.000> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I think a fresh installation is better than GHOST restoration.
>>First, you don't backup viruses.
>>Second, you can put in new informations during installation.
>>The reasons for you to use GHOST is important.
>>The only good reason for you to use it is backing up hard disk.
>>Because backing up hard disk is allowed while backing up a CD is not
>>allowed.
>>What I said about activation was not good.
>>Because Win XP will call for an activation if you change too many
>>hardwares.
>>I saw it on the MS web.

> Total trash.
>
> "Because Win XP will call for an activation if you change too many
> hardwires"
>
> You image a system before and after a hardware change. The before image is
> to be able to return to the prior configuration if the hardware install
> causes a problem. The after image is your new standard. If you install new
> hardware and Windows XP does not require a re-activation, then the after new
> hardware image will not require a re-activation.
>
> "The only good reason for you to use it is backing up hard disk."
>
> So, that is what an image program does.
>
> "Because backing up hard disk is allowed while backing up a CD is not
> allowed."
>
> Other program will backup{copy} a CD if you so choose.
>
> Don

During start up, Windows detects your hardwares, it is true.
Every OS do it at start up, and load drivers according to the detection.
If you go into safe mode, no drivers will be loaded.
What I said is according to MS.
Of course re-activation is possible not true, because they are lying.

And no body knows, if you want to copy a CD.
But GHOST can not be used to copy a CD.

If you do have any reason for use GHOST, it is your right to try it.