Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > What is the 'dcrserv.exe' loaded by Drivecrypt?

What is the 'dcrserv.exe' loaded by Drivecrypt?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?-=3D|__=28=BAL=BA=29__|=3D-____o=3D=5B:::::::::::::::=3E?=

What is the 'dcrserv.exe' loaded by Drivecrypt?

I disabled it and drivecrypt still works perfectly,
giving my system an extra meg of free memory.

I'm sick to death of programmers thinking they
have a right to waste my resources & memory.

David Shaw

David Postill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:04:31 GMT, -=| (šLš) |=-
o=[:::::::::::::::> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| What is the 'dcrserv.exe' loaded by Drivecrypt?

Why don't you ask them?

<http://www.securstar.com/contact.php>

| I disabled it and drivecrypt still works perfectly,
| giving my system an extra meg of free memory.

<davidp />

--
David Postill

"David Shaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

| > I'm sick to death of programmers thinking they
| > have a right to waste my resources & memory.
|
| Well, I'm a programmer, and please, let me tell you: we don't
| generally waste resources for no reason. It's very possible that
| dcrserv.exe actually *does* do something, and you just haven't
| discovered what it was yet. My advice is to just keep it running...
|
| ds

Drivecrypt still works perfectly without it
and I now have an extra megabyte of free RAM.

It's Gone for good... No Regrets

Wimbo

-=| (šLš) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::> wrote:
> "David Shaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

Agamemnon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Shaw) wrote:

> > I'm sick to death of programmers thinking they
> > have a right to waste my resources & memory.

> Well, I'm a programmer, and please, let me tell you: we don't
> generally waste resources for no reason. It's very possible

that
> dcrserv.exe actually *does* do something, and you just haven't
> discovered what it was yet. My advice is to just keep it

running...

Lemme guess - you work for Micro$oft, right?

Or want to...

"Wimbo" <wimbo_online@_REMOVETHIS_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bxZ3d.222$(E-Mail Removed)...
| -=| (šLš) |=- o=[:::::::::::::::> wrote:
| > "David Shaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
| > |
| > |
| > | Well, I'm a programmer, and please, let me tell you: we don't
| > | generally waste resources for no reason. It's very possible that
| > | dcrserv.exe actually *does* do something, and you just haven't
| > | discovered what it was yet. My advice is to just keep it running...
| > |
| > | ds
| >

| > Drivecrypt still works perfectly without it
| > and I now have an extra megabyte of free RAM.
| >
| > It's Gone for good... No Regrets
|
| I don't know the exact purpose of the file, but the creators of
| drivecrypt feel that they want to provide as much security regarding
| their product as possible. Perhaps the 'service' makes sure that no
| traces of passwords are left behind within cache, RAM, or whatever.
|
| So, even it seems to work it might not work as it intended to be.
| Why not ask SecurStar? I'm sure they have a plausible explanation.
|
| Wimbo

Drivecrypt still works *perfectly* without it
& I now have an extra megabyte of free RAM.

I can live without it, no problems whatsoever

Stefano

> Drivecrypt still works *perfectly* without it
> & I now have an extra megabyte of free RAM.
>
> I can live without it, no problems whatsoever

Prabably the service protect containers from deletion or dismount
mounted volume safely at shutdown.

Shaun Hollingworth

o=[:::::::::::::::> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What is the 'dcrserv.exe' loaded by Drivecrypt?
>
>I disabled it and drivecrypt still works perfectly,
>giving my system an extra meg of free memory.
>
>I'm sick to death of programmers thinking they
>have a right to waste my resources & memory.

This is rather an unfair accusation I think.......

We are not "wasting" anyone's resources.

The service is necessary to ensure that users who are NOT logged in as
administrators can still dismount disks. Many people prefer to use
their computers on a daily basis logged in on a more limited account,
as it offers extra security.

The service is also there, to allow disks to be mounted in a global
context, and be accessible and sharable over networks etc. if users
want to be able to do that.

DriveCrypt allows "portable" use, when the service is not installed.

So it will still work without the service, subject to the above
limitations. Indeed, if it detects that the service is absent, it
takes over the role of the service *itself*, but is then limited by
the operating system, and disks cannot be shared, or be global in
scope, or dismounted by none administrators.

Shaun.

futureworlds

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:30:41 +0200, in article
<bxZ3d.222$(E-Mail Removed)>, Wimbo
<wimbo_online@_REMOVETHIS_hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know the exact purpose of the file, but the creators of
>drivecrypt feel that they want to provide as much security regarding
>their product as possible. Perhaps the 'service' makes sure that no
>traces of passwords are left behind within cache, RAM, or whatever.

Pffft, don't count on it being a "security" feature. Their DCPP product
drops a DCPPaid.exe file in your startup folder to check your licence
status (paid or not) so don't bet that everything they do is in the
interests of "security".

Securstar care more about piracy than they do security.