Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Axis Dialer

Axis Dialer

Faelan

Hello

A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds it, tells
Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.

Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?

I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media Player
could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

--

F.

Thund3rstruck_n0i

Faelan spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<(E-Mail Removed)>

> Hello
>
> A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
> We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
> The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
> Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds it,
> tells Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.
>
> Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?
>
> I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media Player
> could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

Have you tried checking one of the AV sites, such as antivirus.com, etc.?

NOI

Faelan

"Thund3rstruck_n0i" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le
message de news: Xrg3d.6438$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Hello
>>
>> A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
>> We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
>> The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
>> Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds it,
>> tells Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.
>>
>> Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?
>>
>> I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media Player
>> could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

> Have you tried checking one of the AV sites, such as antivirus.com, etc.?

Of course, but except a few informations about dialers, I didn't find any
solution for removing Axis....

--

F.

Chuck

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:27:45 +0200, "Faelan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello
>
>A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
>We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
>The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
>Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds it, tells
>Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.
>
>Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?
>
>I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media Player
>could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
LSP-Fix and WinsockLSPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>

Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
downloaded file there.

You did update AA and SSD before scanning, right?

Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the HJT
Log.
<http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>

Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts, here):
Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>

If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet (some
spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may damage your
network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.

Cheers,
Chuck

Faelan

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:27:45 +0200, "Faelan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hello
>>
>>A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
>>We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
>>The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
>>Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds it,
>>tells
>>Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.
>>
>>Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?
>>
>>I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media Player
>>could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

> Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
> HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
> LSP-Fix and WinsockLSPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
>
> Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis - copy the
> downloaded file there.
>
> You did update AA and SSD before scanning, right?

Right (of course

> Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save the
> HJT
> Log.
> <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
>
> Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of the
> following security forums (and please post a link to your forum posts,
> here):
> Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
> Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
> Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
> Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
> Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>
>
> If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet
> (some
> spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may
> damage your
> network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Thanks for your answer. I'll visit my friend next week. I'll do it and post
the results.

__

F.

Quaoar

Faelan wrote:
> "Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> (E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 11:27:45 +0200, "Faelan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> A friend of mine got Axis Dialer in his computer
>>> We are not able to find a solution to delete this malware....
>>> The dialup, deleted manually, comes back after reboot...
>>> Adaware and Spybot don't find the dialer ; Giant antispyware finds
>>> it, tells
>>> Axis is now away, but Axis comes back after reboot.
>>>
>>> Anybody knows how to put away this malware ?
>>>
>>> I readed in another forum that a new installation of Windows Media
>>> Player could resolve this problem (how ?). But it doesn't work

>> Start by downloading each of the following additional free tools:
>> HijackThis <http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3155>
>> LSP-Fix and WinsockLSPFix <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>
>>
>> Create a separate folder for HijackThis, such as C:\HijackThis -
>> copy the downloaded file there.
>>
>> You did update AA and SSD before scanning, right?

> Right (of course
>
>> Run HijackThis ("Scan"). Do NOT make any changes immediately. Save
>> the HJT
>> Log.
>> <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/index.php?showtopic=227>
>>
>> Finally, have your HJT log interpreted by experts at one or more of
>> the following security forums (and please post a link to your forum
>> posts, here):
>> Aumha: <http://forum.aumha.org/index.php>
>> Net-Integration: <http://forums.net-integration.net/>
>> Spyware Info: <http://forums.spywareinfo.com/>
>> Spyware Warrior: <http://spywarewarrior.com/index.php>
>> Tom Coyote: <http://forums.tomcoyote.org/>
>>
>> If removal of any spyware affects your ability to access the internet
>> (some
>> spyware builds itself into the network software, and its removal may
>> damage your
>> network), run LSP-Fix and / or WinsockXPFIx.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck
>> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

> Thanks for your answer. I'll visit my friend next week. I'll do it
> and post the results.
>
> __
>
> F.

The problem with the dialer coming back is that there is an installer
and a cab file somewhere in the system folder, typically in
C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files. These files cannot be easily
removed except in Safe Mode, and finding them in Explorer requires
enabling the two folder view options show hidden files and don't hide
system files, and you need to know exactly what the names are. Anyway,
try the Giant system again from Safe Mode, see if that works. Did you
load both the signature files from Giant?