Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Can hijackthis erase DNS settings ?

Can hijackthis erase DNS settings ?

XFakeX

Hello, i've recently tried this excellent little problem called hijackthis
to clean my browser from trash (like that dreaded internet optimizer), but
lately i think i've ticked something wrong, couse my browsers (explorer and
firefox) can't open any website.. i guess maybe i've cleaned out the domain
name server settings in the system.. how can it be fixed ?

--
Fk

Chuck

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 20:48:07 +0200, "XFakeX" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>Hello, i've recently tried this excellent little problem called hijackthis
>to clean my browser from trash (like that dreaded internet optimizer), but
>lately i think i've ticked something wrong, couse my browsers (explorer and
>firefox) can't open any website.. i guess maybe i've cleaned out the domain
>name server settings in the system.. how can it be fixed ?

HJT doesn't affect your DNS, except that when you remove spyware, sometimes it
damages the LSP / Winsock. DNS resolution is affected by the LSP / Winsock
subsystem.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318584
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811259

Give LSP-Fix and WinsockLSPFix a shot <http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm>

With XP SP2, Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh winsock reset catalog" into the
command window. If you had any custom, third party winsock entries, you may
have to re install applications.

If all else fails, reset TCP/IP.
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299357

Start - Run - "cmd". Type "netsh int ip reset c:\netsh.txt" into the command
window. Then reboot.

Cheers,
Chuck

Can't get DNS settings Eddie Hotchkiss Computer Support 3 10-27-2006 12:06 AM
erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments