Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > deleting a hard drive

deleting a hard drive

.

I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
be appreciated.

JM

.. wrote:

> I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
> has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
> If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
> 1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
> be appreciated.

The Del command only removes the file name from the index, the data is still
there. You can over write the data with 1 & 0's multiple times to attempt
to mask what was there. But if you have the time and the resources the
recovery of data is possible, due to a slight charge of the past image
remains. It has been said by some that the recovery of the last 7 layers of
data is possible off of media. The only way to ensure the data is gone is
to destroy the media or over-write it multiple times and run it through a
degausser.
--
NEMO SALTAT SOBRIUS NISI FORTE INSANIT.

David H. Lipman

Why can't you delete a hard drive?
What a broad and incorrect question. Does the instructor mean delete the data on a hard
disk ?

If he means the data and not the hard disk itself, degaussing will delete all data and data
structures. This is also known as "sanitizing" a hard disk.

Dave

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
| has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
| If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
| 1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
| be appreciated.

Jim Watt

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:41:16 -0400, . <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
>has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
>If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
>1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
>be appreciated.

If a hard disk really was a digital device you could set all the data
bits to 0, 1 or a random patten and any data it held would be
effectivly deleted.

Or you can shred it. Then its deleted.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

someone

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
> has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
> If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
> 1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
> be appreciated.

An excellent article re this topic can be found via this link

http://www.nber.org/sys-admin/overwr...a-guttman.html

What institution is your digital forensics class provided by?

I would be interested in the information provided by the instructor on this
topic.

Apollo

"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
> has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
> If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
> 1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
> be appreciated.

I would answer;

You can't delete a hard drive because it's a physical device ;o)

If your instructor means why can't you delete the data on a hard drive, you
should suggest that he did not ask that question and he should be more
specific. If this is the case, then the rest of the course content and the
competence of the 'instructors' will probably be just as dubious.

Good luck,

--
Apollo

Melissa Royer

Well I for one would like to know the name of your class. Anyways you are
correct it is a vague question low level formatting would create all zeros,
there has to be some value on the disk in order for the bios to talk to it.
Let me know what he says
"." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the instructor
> has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard drive?
> If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither a
> 1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
> be appreciated.

Only for shure as in Circuit Cellar

format

then take out in woods and put a round all the way thru it

works every time

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:41:16 -0400, . <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

-I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the
instructor
-has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard
drive?
-If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither
-1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
-be appreciated.

David H. Lipman

Nope, residual flux would leave data and those areas not damaged by the "round" could still
be used to retrieve data. Albeit, it would be like a puzzle with pieces missing but, enough
of the puzzle would be left to gather much information on the big picture.

The only way to truly sanitize a hard disk is to supply an alternating magnetic field with a
large amount of Oersted power (e.g, >5000 Oersted). Once complete there will be no residual
flux left on the ferrous grains or molecules.

Dave

"a" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

| Only for shure as in Circuit Cellar
|
| format
|
| then take out in woods and put a round all the way thru it
|
| works every time
|

| On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 20:41:16 -0400, . <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| -I am enrolled in an on-line Digital Forensics class and the
| instructor
| -has asked the following question....Why can't you delete a hard
| drive?
| -If he means delete as in rendering every bit empty...holding neither
| -1 nor a 0. I don't think that that is possible, is it? Any help would
| -be appreciated.

Colin B.

a <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Only for shure as in Circuit Cellar
>
> format
>
> then take out in woods and put a round all the way thru it
>
> works every time

Nope. Not even to a passable degree.

Grinding and incinerating is better.