Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Anyone tested Prevx

Anyone tested Prevx

Use.Netuser.de

Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means to test the
functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
https://www.prevx.com/

Vanguardx

"Use.Netuser.de" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means
> to test the functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
> https://www.prevx.com/

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=prevx

Do they have a valid reason for demanding an SSL connection to their web
site? https:// is their secured site. http://www.prevx.com uses
meta-refresh to push you over to their https:// site. They really need
to encrypt the communication with the potential consumer?

Vanguardx

"Vanguardx" <see_signature>
wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
> "Use.Netuser.de" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>> Just downloaded Prevx and wondering the groups thoughts and a means
>> to test the functionality would be good. Any input from you guys.
>> https://www.prevx.com/

> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=prevx
>
> Do they have a valid reason for demanding an SSL connection to their
> web site? https:// is their secured site. http://www.prevx.com uses
> meta-refresh to push you over to their https:// site. They really
> need to encrypt the communication with the potential consumer?

Also, unless Prevx usurps the bootstrap code in the MBR (which means it
loads AFTER the operating system loads), how would it protect against
root kits (which would also mean that Prevx installs from bootable media
to avoid the root kit from re-usurping the MBR)?

From their web page at
https://www.prevx.com/prevxenterpris...echnology.htm:

"At PREVX, our research team are continually enhancing the breadth of
our intrusion prevention capabilities and creating new attack vector
prevention modules. With a modular framework for Host IPS at its core,
Prevx Enterprise is designed to allow the rapid deployment of additional
security modules as and when new attack methods emerge from the Hacker
underground."

So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
as anti-virus software.

Anonymous

> So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
> developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
> as anti-virus software.

The protection modules are produced for known exploits, but PrevX does not
totally rely on these modules.
PrevX also has a sandbox style feature which monitors file, registry and
memory access which enables it to detect and prevent most other unknown zero
day exploits and Buffer overflow vulnerabilities.

Use.Netuser.de

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote ...

> > So how do they block a zero-day attack for which they haven't yet
> > developed a prevention module? They don't, so they are in the same boat
> > as anti-virus software.

> The protection modules are produced for known exploits, but PrevX does not
> totally rely on these modules.
> PrevX also has a sandbox style feature which monitors file, registry and
> memory access which enables it to detect and prevent most other unknown zero
> day exploits and Buffer overflow vulnerabilities.

Good answer thanks. Been trying it out and seems to work in terms of running local
processes ... Now I need to click "allow" much more often than usual. I guess time
will tell. Thanks All

Prevx ~BD~ Computer Security 1 03-21-2009 08:28 AM
Re: Prevx John D Computer Security 1 02-11-2009 06:07 PM
Unlocker-moveonboot-prevx console+"windows cannot acces baoboa Computer Support 2 03-12-2007 08:47 PM
PREVX user rating HMI Computer Security 3 04-15-2006 11:18 PM
Prevx software nemo2 Computer Support 9 09-08-2004 05:50 PM

Advertisments