Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Are Anti-Virus Programmers Producing Most of the Viruses?

Are Anti-Virus Programmers Producing Most of the Viruses?

Vallant

After all,
1.They know all about viruses.
2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.

Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
at one of the software companies.....
Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
build a case against one person.

What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
all for granted.

Ionizer

"Vallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> After all,
> 1.They know all about viruses.
> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
>
> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> at one of the software companies.....
> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> build a case against one person.
>
> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> all for granted.

Here's a media report for you, but it doesn't take the conspiracy theory
angle you're proposing:

http://www.theregister.com/2003/09/0...ith_antivirus/

"Who cares about improving product - when the share price is soaring?
So there's a problem - but one that the mainstream AV industry has no
financial incentive to solve. Quite the opposite, in fact. The worse
things become the rosier the financial future looks for AV vendors, at
least in the short term."

--
Ian.

Lloyd Jones

My mate a few years back claimed there was a virus in one of the Norton
updates but I think that's a load of *******s.

LJ

Thor

"Vallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> After all,
> 1.They know all about viruses.
> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
>
> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> at one of the software companies.....
> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> build a case against one person.
>
> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> all for granted.

I hear this theory postulated by the occasional conspiracy-minded customer.
But people with these suspicions must realize that there are more than
enough people around the world with the malicious or thrill-seeking intent,
combined with the programming skills necessary to create and distribute
viruses. There are sizable virus writer/hacker subcultures out there that
thrive on the publicity and notoriety of fast spreading and prolific
viruses, and hacking of websites and company systems. I've been around such
people before, and it is disturbing the level of disconnection these people
have with the rest of the society. Typically young, teens to early 20s,
somewhat gifted in computer knowledge, but with a destructive or anarchist
streak running through them, and a complete lack of concern about the damage
and problems their viruses can inflict. The AV companies, while they are
indeed making money hand-over-fist from the phenomenon, have nothing to do
with the creation of viruses and worms. It defies common sense that they
would be involved in such an act. Destructive-minded individuals of society
are ever-present, and are all-too-willing to do the job. The AV companies
need not lift a finger. And besides, if the AV companies were doing this, it
would not remain a secret for long, and there would be a massive criminal
penalities and class-action lawsuits if they were ever caught doing it. Such
an act would be so far over the top and outwardly criminal that they would
be insane to ever attempt it given the likelihood that the truth would leak
eventually, completely destroying their companies in the process, and
sending most of the management to jail.

wodger

Vallant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> After all,
> 1.They know all about viruses.
> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
>
> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> at one of the software companies.....
> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> build a case against one person.
>
> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> all for granted.

it is a idea i've heard for a number of years, to be honest i don't
credit it much credibilty but would agree with the idea voiced in the
register artical that the security firms have no isencitvity to fix the
situaction, as at the moment they are sitting pritty no dought rakinging
a tidy profit.

roger

Chet

Under the general heading of "I may be paranoid but people really are out
to get me"

Bill Unruh

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (wodger) writes:

]Vallant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

]> After all,
]> 1.They know all about viruses.
]> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
]> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
]>
]> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
]> at one of the software companies.....
]> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
]> build a case against one person.
]>
]> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
]> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
]> all for granted.

There are many things the media do not report on-- the fact that all of the
members of the Senate are actually aliens, the fact that cars really run on
the water vapour in the gasoline and there is no energy crisis, the fact
that Hitler is alive and well and living in Kansas, etc.

Hairy One Kenobi

"Bill Unruh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:chlb4v$kt2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (wodger) writes:
>
> ]Vallant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> ]> After all,
> ]> 1.They know all about viruses.
> ]> 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> ]> 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
> ]>
> ]> Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> ]> at one of the software companies.....
> ]> Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> ]> build a case against one person.
> ]>
> ]> What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> ]> We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> ]> all for granted.
>
> There are many things the media do not report on-- the fact that all of

the
> members of the Senate are actually aliens, the fact that cars really run

on
> the water vapour in the gasoline and there is no energy crisis, the fact
> that Hitler is alive and well and living in Kansas, etc.

I thought that was Elvis? ;o)

Anyway.. certain of the companies don't help their reputation by counting
"not seen in the wild" viruses - i.e. simple modifications of "standard" or
"what-if" code.

Not that I'm suggesting that these things are /released/.. still, it's
enough to make the more (cough) "wobbly" netizens take note ;o)

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

mcp6453

Thor wrote:

> "Vallant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > After all,
> > 1.They know all about viruses.
> > 2.Chances of exposure and apprehension are slim.
> > 3.They have the obvious motive of lucrative financial gain.
> >
> > Of course,you'd think someone would come out and blow the whistle
> > at one of the software companies.....
> > Then again,they could be doing that now but authorities can't
> > build a case against one person.
> >
> > What I don't understand is why the media never reports on this.
> > We just continue shelling out the bucks like suckers taking it
> > all for granted.

> I hear this theory postulated by the occasional conspiracy-minded customer.
> But people with these suspicions must realize that there are more than
> enough people around the world with the malicious or thrill-seeking intent,
> combined with the programming skills necessary to create and distribute
> viruses. There are sizable virus writer/hacker subcultures out there that
> thrive on the publicity and notoriety of fast spreading and prolific
> viruses, and hacking of websites and company systems. I've been around such
> people before, and it is disturbing the level of disconnection these people
> have with the rest of the society. Typically young, teens to early 20s,
> somewhat gifted in computer knowledge, but with a destructive or anarchist
> streak running through them, and a complete lack of concern about the damage
> and problems their viruses can inflict. The AV companies, while they are
> indeed making money hand-over-fist from the phenomenon, have nothing to do
> with the creation of viruses and worms. It defies common sense that they
> would be involved in such an act. Destructive-minded individuals of society
> are ever-present, and are all-too-willing to do the job. The AV companies
> need not lift a finger. And besides, if the AV companies were doing this, it
> would not remain a secret for long, and there would be a massive criminal
> penalities and class-action lawsuits if they were ever caught doing it. Such
> an act would be so far over the top and outwardly criminal that they would
> be insane to ever attempt it given the likelihood that the truth would leak
> eventually, completely destroying their companies in the process, and
> sending most of the management to jail.

Thor! Don't tell me you've given up on paragraphs!!

Thor

> Thor! Don't tell me you've given up on paragraphs!!

Got no use for 'em. A waste of good text space. heh, heh.