Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Password security for usb flash drives?

Password security for usb flash drives?

itsme

I have a lexar usb flash drive. I love it. But is there anyway to password
protect the data on this thing? I tried the encryption in windows xp, but
you have to do it for each individual file and it causes all sorts of
problems. I would love to be able to just give the flash drive a good
password and be done with it.

Brian

itsme wrote:

> I have a lexar usb flash drive. I love it. But is there anyway to password
> protect the data on this thing? I tried the encryption in windows xp, but
> you have to do it for each individual file and it causes all sorts of
> problems. I would love to be able to just give the flash drive a good
> password and be done with it.

From what I understand you have to get one with some kind of built-in
security software. I have the JumpDrive Traveler on this site
(http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/index.html), but the JumpDrive Secure is
supposed to be able to do what you're talking about. (I just ordered one
of those last night--got a bargain for $66! So I'll find out what the deal
is with that one soon.)

Use.Netuser.de

What about just zipping them up and adding a password?
Or maybe get PGP Disk/BestCrypt or similar and create a container.
I use Bestcrypt containers for my personal docs as me PC is on the net 24/7 and
don't really want anyone stealing me personal stuff.

"itsme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a lexar usb flash drive. I love it. But is there anyway to password
> protect the data on this thing? I tried the encryption in windows xp, but
> you have to do it for each individual file and it causes all sorts of
> problems. I would love to be able to just give the flash drive a good
> password and be done with it.

andy smart

Jim Watt

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:27:11 +0100, "Use.Netuser.de"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What about just zipping them up and adding a password?

The inbuilt security of PKzip'ed files is not particularly robust.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Wimbo