Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > "Tracert" at a port level?

"Tracert" at a port level?

Hairy One Kenobi

Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)

There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
the same way as an ICMP traceroute.

Can anyone remember what it's called, or knows of any other examples (with
source would be even better ;o)

What I'm trying to do is locate a broken router/whatever when something goes
wrong with a connection - nothing sinister.

--

Hairy One Kenobi

in the first place. So there!

Moe Trin

In article <eD_Zc.318$(E-Mail Removed)>, Hairy One Kenobi wrote:
>Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)
>
>There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
>the same way as an ICMP traceroute.

Your subject says "Tracert" which is the ICMP echo only windoze version.
The original Unix 'traceroute' from Van Jacobson was UDP, and then added
ICMP.

[compton ~]$ whatis tcptraceroute
tcptraceroute ( - A traceroute implementation using TCP packets
[compton ~]$

I imagine that's what you want, There doesn't appear to be a windoze
version, although you _might_ be able to compile this under Cygwin
(though I suspect finding a windoze version of the libraries it depends on
may be a major problem). I can see several versions suitable for Linux
(and possibly *BSD) on sunsite.

Looking at the man page, it looks _very_ versatile, but it is limited
to TCP packets. For ICMP or UDP, you still need the UNIX version of
traceroute. If you needed to do more, maybe something like netcat or
hping would be interesting, though using those tools would require a
heck of a lot more knowledge. Again, both of those appear to be UNIX
only.

Old guy

David H. Lipman

You might want to repost this query in...

comp.protocols.tcp-ip

Dave

"Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
news:eD_Zc.318$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)
|
| There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
| the same way as an ICMP traceroute.
|
| Can anyone remember what it's called, or knows of any other examples (with
| source would be even better ;o)
|
| What I'm trying to do is locate a broken router/whatever when something goes
| wrong with a connection - nothing sinister.
|
| --
|
| Hairy One Kenobi
|
| Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
| reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
| in the first place. So there!

Chuck

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:48:58 GMT, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>Just to start - I'm *not* confusing ICMP with TCP/UDP ;o)
>
>There was a tool mentioned a while back that hopped from device to device in
>the same way as an ICMP traceroute.
>
>Can anyone remember what it's called, or knows of any other examples (with
>source would be even better ;o)
>
>What I'm trying to do is locate a broken router/whatever when something goes
>wrong with a connection - nothing sinister.

Try PingPlotter <http://www.pingplotter.com/>.

Cheers,
Chuck