Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > anyone else?

anyone else?

Millbrook

Hi Folks,

I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
$40,000,000 into my bank.

Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
these e-mails?
Sometime they also contain various viruses.

Thanks in advance
Lisa

Richard S. Westmoreland

"Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7GZc.102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
> $40,000,000 into my bank.
>
> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
> these e-mails?
> Sometime they also contain various viruses.

For our corporate email filter, I create macros that block by phrases in the
message body, that only pertain to the Nigerian Scam Letter. Too bad I
can't create a macro that determines if the message body is more than 98%
CAPS LOCK.

--
Richard S. Westmoreland
http://www.antisource.com

dono

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:29:34 GMT, "Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
>$40,000,000 into my bank.
>
>Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
>these e-mails?
>Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Lisa

#######################
There are 2 possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head.
One is to wrtie rulesets for a filter and the other is send an email
to the owners of the server that the spammers are using as a relay. On
occassion, I have been able to look at the headers to determine the IP
of the server, then a whois to get the email of the admin. Once they
are aware that their server is being used as a relay, they will close
the hole. If it is one of their users, they will close the account.

klf

Hello,

Have a bit of fun and make up a bank sort code and account number. They
will get caught quicker.
The Nigerian scams are the best, greedy/stupid people always get hit by
them.

"Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7GZc.102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
> $40,000,000 into my bank.
>
> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
> these e-mails?
> Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lisa

---

Celtic Leroy

"Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Folks,
>
>I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
>$40,000,000 into my bank.
>
>Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
>these e-mails?
>Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>
>Thanks in advance
>Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The best way I've found is to subscribe to an ISP that will filter
incoming SMTP messages with an "approved sender" list (e.g. an address
book). I use Earthlink (Mindspring) Spaminator. If the sender is not
in my address book, they will get a messages back from Earthlink
saying that they need to request I add them to my list. Otherwise I
will not see the message.

Regards

Millbrook

Thanks for all your help guy's
going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
Regards
lisa
"Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i7GZc.102$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
> $40,000,000 into my bank.
>
> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
> these e-mails?
> Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lisa

Chuck

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:01:36 GMT, "Millbrook" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>Thanks for all your help guy's
>going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
>Regards
>lisa
>"Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:i7GZc.102$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
>> $40,000,000 into my bank.
>>
>> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
>> these e-mails?
>> Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Lisa

Lisa,

Check out these web pages:
<http://www.spamletters.com/letter.php?spamID=91&sortBy=da&start=0>
<http://www.savannahsays.com/kizombe.htm>

Cheers,
Chuck

Mike

Millbrook wrote:

> Thanks for all your help guy's
> going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
> Regards
> lisa
> "Millbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:i7GZc.102$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Hi Folks,
>>
>>I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
>>$40,000,000 into my bank.
>>
>>Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
>>these e-mails?
>>Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>>
>>Thanks in advance
>>Lisa

You probably won't to do that. Some of these scam artists are not to be
messed with due to their links with organised crime etc.

As you remain pretty clueless on how to use usenet and don't seem to
have heard of anti-spam software, I doubt you could hide yourself well
enough.

Try www.spamassassin.org for anti-spam software or ask an expert.

Netuser 58

Millbrook wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
> $40,000,000 into my bank.
>
> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
> these e-mails?
> Sometime they also contain various viruses.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Lisa

Every computer user recieving email should know what "email headers"
are. Many don't. Here is a site that explains them. This is the vital
information necessary when reporting fraud mail, like what has happened
since the summer of 2003. Once you learn this you will be able to send
a complaint,with full headers included, to the ISP where the mail came
from, ending the harrassment quickly. Using filters will not stop them
from sending these emails.
Bookmark this for future reference.

http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

Netuser 58

johns

Email tech support at your ISP. Tell them that if they
pass an email virus to your computer, and it does
damage causing you to lose vital data, and the cost
of restoring your system, that you will sue the pants
off of them regardless of whether they think you can
or not. What needs to happen is these ISPs need to
be hauled befor a judge and jury, and let THEM
decide when enough is enough. Have your lawyer
detail to this jury just how simple it is for an ISP to
filter all incoming email and remove the dangerous
and destructive ones. When they hear that, I'm sure
they will see that your ISP is simply and willfully
exposing you to loss of your property and subjecting
you to pain and suffering. When one of these ISPs
loses his shirt in front of a judge and jury, this thing
will stop. I'd like to see you get about $20 million
out of their punk hides.

johns

Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :) MarkČ Digital Photography 34 05-20-2006 11:16 AM
Anyone who posts for Help in Here needs Intellix - Anyone providing Help Applicable Also Ditto21 Computer Support 8 02-18-2006 04:27 AM
Anyone?? Anyone at all?? JDS HTML 2 09-29-2005 07:10 PM
Anyone know anyone in Toronto Canada that will write your Mcsa Exams MonkeyMunx Microsoft Certification 17 01-05-2004 03:37 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Steve Williams Python 0 09-16-2003 03:26 AM

Advertisments