Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > zero lines in post, hard drive runs?

zero lines in post, hard drive runs?

Al Smith

OK, this is starting to bug me. When I open a newsgroup message
that has been tricked to show zero lines, even when it contains a
message body, my hard drive runs. It runs more than it would for a
regular post the showed the correct number of lines. Why is this?
I can't think of why a newsgroup post showing zero lines would
make my hard drive run more than a regular post.

Moe Trin

In article <7sSVc.98411$(E-Mail Removed)>, Al Smith wrote:
>OK, this is starting to bug me. When I open a newsgroup message
>that has been tricked to show zero lines, even when it contains a
>message body, my hard drive runs.

1036 Standard for interchange of USENET messages. M.R. Horton, R.
Adams. Dec-01-1987. (Format: TXT=46891 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0850)

RFC1036, although not a "Standard" (along with the unofficial
"son-of-1036") pretty much sets the standards for a newsgroup message.

Last paragraph in section 2:

Certain headers are required, and certain other headers are
optional. Any unrecognized headers are allowed, and will be passed
through unchanged. The required header lines are "From", "Date",
"Newsgroups", "Subject", "Message-ID", and "Path". The optional
header lines are "Followup-To", "Expires", "Reply-To", "Sender",
"References", "Control", "Distribution", "Keywords", "Summary",
"Approved", "Lines", "Xref", and "Organization". Each of these
header lines will be described below.

Notice that "Lines" is an OPTIONAL header, and most news tools will show
a zero value for this header when missing.

>It runs more than it would for a regular post the showed the correct
>number of lines. Why is this?

Seeing that you didn't bother to indicate what news group this occurred
in, nor what specific article, it's anyones guess what is happening.

Maybe you should check the settings on your browser, and make sure you
are not enabling everything under the sun. Another idea might be to
use a real news tool, rather than an "all-singing, all-dancing" browser
that is designed to show hypertext web pages.

>I can't think of why a newsgroup post showing zero lines would
>make my hard drive run more than a regular post.

I can't think why a newsgroup post should have anything to do with the
hard drive, unless you are reading the news off-line. from a spool you
cached on your system. None of the 74 newsgroups I scan shows such
problems, and posts with missing "Lines" headers are relatively rare.
The _ONLY_ time my news tool hits the hard drive is when it's reading
the article number history when it starts or when I open a newsgroup,
and when it writes which articles have been read on exiting the group.
But then, I rarely use a browser, and never use on in place of a news tool.

Maybe you'd get better help if you posted in "news.software.readers" _AND_
included specific information - like newsgroup, article number (subject,
date, author), so that someone can actually _look_ at the article and
find clues. Be sure to mention what "features" you have enabled in your
browser (Java, auto-download of binaries, auto-run of binaries, auto-send
of password, credit card data, etc.).

Old guy