Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Disable "Plug and Play"?

Disable "Plug and Play"?

Franky

I quite like the idea of Plug and Play where I can put in some new
hardware and XP will discover what it is and offer to install the
right drivers.

This seems to work on my system even though in Local Component
Services I have got "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" set to be
disabled.

Am I confusing two different things?

Should I disable or enable it?

And what about the warnings in http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm. Are
these warning still valid? If so then what should or should not be
running?

Jim Watt

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:01:36 +0100, Franky <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I quite like the idea of Plug and Play where I can put in some new
>hardware and XP will discover what it is and offer to install the
>right drivers.
>
>This seems to work on my system even though in Local Component
>Services I have got "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" set to be
>disabled.
>
>Am I confusing two different things?

yes.

--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Steven L Umbach

Don't disable plug and play service however you can disable the "universal plug and
play service" which is like a plug and play for the network. I disable it and also
disable the related ssdp discovery service. --- Steve

phn@icke-reklam.ipsec.nu

Franky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I quite like the idea of Plug and Play where I can put in some new
> hardware and XP will discover what it is and offer to install the
> right drivers.

> This seems to work on my system even though in Local Component
> Services I have got "Universal Plug and Play Device Host" set to be
> disabled.

> Am I confusing two different things?

Yes. pnp is hardware in a pc. upnp is networking devices discovering
and "talking to" each other.

> Should I disable or enable it?

Un*x-type OS-es often does as well or better when pno is turned off
since they are designed to probe hardware during boot. Windows however
seems unable to work without pnp

> And what about the warnings in http://grc.com/UnPnP/UnPnP.htm. Are
> these warning still valid? If so then what should or should not be
> running?

Yes, they are very much true. But the place to disable upnp is
not in the pc but in the "broadband-router". D-link 604 ( the new model)
has a checkbox to globally disable upnp.

--
Peter Håkanson

Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"Steven L Umbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don't disable plug and play service however you can disable the "universal plug and
>play service" which is like a plug and play for the network. I disable it and also
>disable the related ssdp discovery service. --- Steve

I disabled UPnP a number of years ago after reading Steve Gibson's somewhat
sensationalistic diatribe against it. Didn't see the need to enable it.

A few weeks ago I tried turning it back on and got all sorts of goofy things
happening with my network setup, including having Windows enable bridging and a
few other strange things. I quickly turned it off and reconfigured everything
back to normal.

David H. Lipman

Which are the same.

Dave