Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Program calls home, though I disabled the access

Program calls home, though I disabled the access

Edw. Peach

I have a CD burning program that was bundled with my computer software
when I bought it, a program called Sonic. It works nicely and I've
never had a problem with it. I noticed that it checked for updates
everytime I fired up my computer, so I turned off that service in
MSCONFIG (WinXP.)

Whenever I open the program, I notice my 'internet activity' light
goes on in Zone Alarm. (I have Sonic blocked from internet access with
my fire wall.) And whenever I burn a CD, I see the activity light go
on as well.

I can't see how the program accesses the internet, if I have the
visible portals I found blocked. It's not a big issue for me, but I
feel it is an infringement...If I stop a program from accessing the
internet, ANY program, I expect that it will not be able to call home
unless I say so.

What's up with this?

Quaoar

Edw. Peach wrote:
> I have a CD burning program that was bundled with my computer software
> when I bought it, a program called Sonic. It works nicely and I've
> never had a problem with it. I noticed that it checked for updates
> everytime I fired up my computer, so I turned off that service in
> MSCONFIG (WinXP.)
>
> Whenever I open the program, I notice my 'internet activity' light
> goes on in Zone Alarm. (I have Sonic blocked from internet access with
> my fire wall.) And whenever I burn a CD, I see the activity light go
> on as well.
>
> I can't see how the program accesses the internet, if I have the
> visible portals I found blocked. It's not a big issue for me, but I
> feel it is an infringement...If I stop a program from accessing the
> internet, ANY program, I expect that it will not be able to call home
> unless I say so.
>
> What's up with this?

msconfig stops the current startup settings only. Many programs will
reinstitute the auto update, etc, the next time they are run, and
msconfig must be used once again to disable the option. The only was to
stop the program from phoning home is to disable the option in the
program itself from its preferences or options or tools menu.

george

Go to your hosts file and add and open it with notepad.
make an entry -
67.67.67.67 www.(whatever the website is).com
It then will never reach home.

George
On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:45:45 -0600, "Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Edw. Peach wrote:
>> I have a CD burning program that was bundled with my computer software
>> when I bought it, a program called Sonic. It works nicely and I've
>> never had a problem with it. I noticed that it checked for updates
>> everytime I fired up my computer, so I turned off that service in
>> MSCONFIG (WinXP.)
>>
>> Whenever I open the program, I notice my 'internet activity' light
>> goes on in Zone Alarm. (I have Sonic blocked from internet access with
>> my fire wall.) And whenever I burn a CD, I see the activity light go
>> on as well.
>>
>> I can't see how the program accesses the internet, if I have the
>> visible portals I found blocked. It's not a big issue for me, but I
>> feel it is an infringement...If I stop a program from accessing the
>> internet, ANY program, I expect that it will not be able to call home
>> unless I say so.
>>
>> What's up with this?

>msconfig stops the current startup settings only. Many programs will
>reinstitute the auto update, etc, the next time they are run, and
>msconfig must be used once again to disable the option. The only was to
>stop the program from phoning home is to disable the option in the
>program itself from its preferences or options or tools menu.

David Postill

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, on Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:22:44 -0400, george
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Please don't top post <stuff moved to end/>

| On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:45:45 -0600, "Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)>
| wrote:

<snip />

| >msconfig stops the current startup settings only. Many programs will
| >reinstitute the auto update, etc, the next time they are run, and
| >msconfig must be used once again to disable the option. The only was to
| >stop the program from phoning home is to disable the option in the
| >program itself from its preferences or options or tools menu.

| Go to your hosts file and add and open it with notepad.
| make an entry -
| 67.67.67.67 www.(whatever the website is).com
| It then will never reach home.
|
| George

Bad idea. 67.67.67.67 belongs to someone on swbell:

nslookup 67.67.67.67
Server: ns1-cro.blueyonder.net
Address: 62.30.112.39

Name: adsl-67-67-67-67.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net
Address: 67.67.67.67

The correct entry for your host file should be:

127.0.0.1 www.(whatever the website is).com

See <http://accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html> and
<http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm> for more info.

<davidp />

--
David Postill

dono

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:05:34 -0400, Edw. Peach <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a CD burning program that was bundled with my computer software
>when I bought it, a program called Sonic. It works nicely and I've
>never had a problem with it. I noticed that it checked for updates
>everytime I fired up my computer, so I turned off that service in
>MSCONFIG (WinXP.)
>
>Whenever I open the program, I notice my 'internet activity' light
>goes on in Zone Alarm. (I have Sonic blocked from internet access with
>my fire wall.) And whenever I burn a CD, I see the activity light go
>on as well.
>
>I can't see how the program accesses the internet, if I have the
>visible portals I found blocked. It's not a big issue for me, but I
>feel it is an infringement...If I stop a program from accessing the
>internet, ANY program, I expect that it will not be able to call home
>unless I say so.
>
>What's up with this?

########################
Try a few things. Let it happen, open a DOS box, run
netstat -an Look at the foreign address column, note the connection
and the port. It helps not to have any other windows opened. Then do
a whois on the IP address and see exactly where it's going.
Also, try to determine the .exe that is calling home. You can do that
by opening the task manager to see what's running. Search the
registry and delete the value. Then it will never run.

Edw. Peach

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:22:44 -0400, george <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Go to your hosts file and add and open it with notepad.
>make an entry -

How do I ID the host file? would it be accessible from the program
folder?

Edw. Peach

wrote:

>msconfig stops the current startup settings only. Many programs will
>reinstitute the auto update, etc, the next time they are run, and
>msconfig must be used once again to disable the option. The only was to
>stop the program from phoning home is to disable the option in the
>program itself from its preferences or options or tools menu.

I looked through my options with the program itself, and there was
nothing to disable. I didn't even find an option about 'check for
updates,' which I think would be a logical place for such a program
that calls home whenever i use it, to hide.

Edw. Peach

Maybe the best option is not to use the program, and to go out and buy
one. I did not read any agreement on this program as it was already
loaded on my computer when I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised to
find some fine print on it stating that the program will contact the
mother ship.

Ian Smith

Assuming you're on a broadband/ADSL/cable, one option is to open a
"command prompt" box and enter "ipconfig /release" before you start
the burner software. This effectively disconnects from the internet,
but you have to enter "ipconfig /renew" to reconnect afterwards. In
either case you can have the command entered as a batch file (.bat)
called from a shortcut icon on the desktop. Perhaps I am wrong,
though.