Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Securing Data on HD

Securing Data on HD

John F Kappler

One aspect of data security that I'm not certain about is securing
files on my hard disk....

If my PC was stolen or lost, and contained some data that I would like
to keep secure, what is the best way to secure those files.

I have considered using PGP to setup a secure disk space, but seem to
remember that this can be cracked? Is this so? and is there a better
method?

TIA,

JohnK

Stephen Howard

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:55:03 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John F
Kappler) wrote:

>One aspect of data security that I'm not certain about is securing
>files on my hard disk....
>
>If my PC was stolen or lost, and contained some data that I would like
>to keep secure, what is the best way to secure those files.
>
>I have considered using PGP to setup a secure disk space, but seem to
>remember that this can be cracked? Is this so? and is there a better
>method?

I've not heard that PGP can be cracked... and if it can I'd imagine
it'd take some processing clout - and who's going to have the
resources and time to do that?
If you feel the 'powers that be' are sufficiently interested in you
then you need to speak to a security professional rather than us lot

I use Marcus Hahn's Blowfish Advanced CS ( freeware, widely available
), which can use a selection of encryption algorithms..none of which
have been cracked as far as I'm aware.
It's been 100% reliable in the years I've been using it.

Other than that, get a hard drive caddy and keep all your sensitive
data on a removeable drive...all you have to do then is make sure the
drive doesn't get pinched!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Mike

John F Kappler wrote:

> One aspect of data security that I'm not certain about is securing
> files on my hard disk....
>
> If my PC was stolen or lost, and contained some data that I would like
> to keep secure, what is the best way to secure those files.
>
> I have considered using PGP to setup a secure disk space, but seem to
> remember that this can be cracked? Is this so? and is there a better
> method?
>
> TIA,
>
> JohnK

Interesting. I'm no expert in this area but here's my views. One way
would be to never store the data on your hard drive in the first place.
Try removable storage, USB stick, CDRW, USB Hard drive etc.

Of course at some point in time you will need to use the data so it will
be unencrypted and loaded into an application like Word for example.
Word creates temporary files and backups and of course if you task
switch there will be bits of the data possibly in the swap file. Its
unlikely that any of this will be encrypted. You will need to ensure
that the computer is scrubbed clean after every use.

If you want it really secure, invent you own code, write the data on
rice paper and eat it.

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted,
submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

Frode

Celtic Leroy

(E-Mail Removed) (John F Kappler) wrote:

>One aspect of data security that I'm not certain about is securing
>files on my hard disk....
>
>If my PC was stolen or lost, and contained some data that I would like
>to keep secure, what is the best way to secure those files.
>
>I have considered using PGP to setup a secure disk space, but seem to
>remember that this can be cracked? Is this so? and is there a better
>method?
>
>TIA,
>
>JohnK

John,

This reminds me of another John I know. His deal was (sounding like a
snake oil salesman) that "Our security can not be cracked!". First
time I heard this I busted up laughing. Unfortunately it was during a
meeting with potential investors, and he got really upset with me.

Let me inform you, and a few others here that think PGP (and/or any
other encryption process) is uncrackable. Sure, the average Joe is
not going to be able to crack PGP (even the minor 40 bit encryption of
SSL). But, given the resources and time, anyone with the knowledge
can crack even the strongest of security, no matter what algorithym is
used.

The best method is to NEVER relax your physical security...like don't
leave your laptop where someone can walk away with it. Keep it with
you, keep your hands on it, and don't set it down. You state that you
want your PC to be secure...keep it in a locked room, a locked
cabinet, an underground bunker with three foot thick walls and a
grounded wire mesh net (Ever watch "Enemy of the State"?). Those boys
in black can see what is on your screen from 200 yards away through
solid block walls (I know, I've seen them).

Seriously now, consider this. Do not use encryption to secure your
PC. Instead, get one of those hard drive bays that you can plug and
unplug the hard drive (I don't remember what they are called at the
moment). And, when you're done using the PC, unplug the hard drive
and lock it in a safe. Obviously the safe should be difficult to
steal too. Then you don't have to worry about scrubbing the system
after each use, remembering password/phrases, or corrupting the data
on a rewritable disk.

Regards,

Paddy

> You do have to go through the hassle of keeping your confidential data
> inside virtual container drives however, compared to the "install and
> forget" approach of complete harddrive encryption.

Not strictly true. We developed a virtual encryption product that for
all intents and puroses can act as a full hard disk encryption tool -
as far as the user is aware, there isn't anywhere else they can save
the info.

it's called Reflex DataVault have a look at www.reflex-magnetics.com