Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Administrator account

Administrator account

Tim Lister

Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
Thanks in advance again!

chris schwall

In article <G9TQc.398$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
> account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
> obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
> into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
> Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
> present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
> Thanks in advance again!

Well one security issue might be that it has no password by default on
HOME version on PRO version the password is whatever you set it to when
you first installed. You likely might want to at least set a password.

Jbob

"Tim Lister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G9TQc.398$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
> account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
> obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
> into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
> Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
> present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
> Thanks in advance again!

I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT based
OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this is
is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of a
reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal user
acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account. Most
system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed. You
can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should have
fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
admin rights.

Jimmie Moberg

Jbob this is partly right anyway... if you dont use the "welcome screen" but
instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as
administrator...
otherwise i think you are very correct in your statement =D

"Jbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tim Lister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:G9TQc.398$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
> > account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
> > obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
> > into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
> > Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
> > present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
> > Thanks in advance again!

> I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT

based
> OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
> to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this

is
> is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
> somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of

> reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
> during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal

user
> acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account.

Most
> system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed.

You
> can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
> Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should

have
> fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
> admin rights.

Tim Lister

Jimmie Moberg wrote:

> Jbob this is partly right anyway... if you dont use the "welcome screen" but
> instead use the ordinary login box u dont have to use safe mode to login as
> administrator...
> otherwise i think you are very correct in your statement =D
>
> "Jbob" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>"Tim Lister" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:G9TQc.398$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Whilst I'm here, could I also pick your brains about the admin
>>>account on XP. I have a few other users on my stand alone machine &
>>>obviously my account is set up as the admin account, but when I boot
>>>into safe mode, I'm presented with another account to mine, labelled
>>>Administrator & with its own password! Why is this hidden admin account
>>>present & again, are there any security implications in having it?
>>>Thanks in advance again!

>>I think this was one of MS's ideas at fixing a big problem with the NT

> based
>
>>OS's. Many people simply used the default user acount(which also happened
>>to be the Admin account) as their normal account. The problem with this

> is
>
>>is for some reason they lose the password or the account becomes corrupted
>>somehow there are very few ways to get back into the OS to fix it short of

>>reload. MS decided to hide the default admin account so it was only seen
>>during a Safe Boot in Windows XP. This way you had to create a normal

> user
>
>>acount for yourself while still preserving the default Admin account.

> Most
>
>>system admins always maintain 2 admin accounts in case one gets hosed.

> You
>
>>can adjust the registry to show this during normal boot as well or use the
>>Powertoys utility to set it to show. FWIW your admin accounts should

> have
>
>>fairly hard passwords or at the very least all the accounts that have full
>>admin rights.

Thanks guys! It's really nice to be able to ask experts about these
things that niggle away at me!