Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > security software needed

security software needed

David D

Hi all,

I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.

Some features I am looking for include:

- Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
the windows and program files folders.

- locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.

- logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
but will be when we get an internet connection.

I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
David

Stephen Howard

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 06:29:46 -0500, "David D" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
>windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
>someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
>can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
>but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.
>
>Some features I am looking for include:
>
> - Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
>the windows and program files folders.
>
> - locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
>for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.
>
> - logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
>but will be when we get an internet connection.
>
>I would really appreciate any suggestions.

Some of what you need is already included in Windows - have a look at
the help files about setting up 'users' and controlling their access
to certain areas of the operating system.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Micheal Robert Zium

David D wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am in charge of a small computer lab that has 5 older computers, with
>windows 95 and 98, and do not even have a cd-rom drive. I was wondering if
>someone can recommend a security program that can fit on a floppy disk, and
>can be loaded onto each computer. We don't have a budget for the computers,
>but I don't mind paying around $40 or so.
>
>Some features I am looking for include:
>
> - Protects important files and folders from being tampered with, including
>the windows and program files folders.
>
> - locks the desktop, keeping shortcuts from being deleted - I would like
>for the users just to be able to access the desktop, and nothing else.
>
> - logs time spent on computer - this isn't especially important right now,
>but will be when we get an internet connection.
>
>I would really appreciate any suggestions.

This may be of some help. It doesn't do everything, but it's a start:
http://www.xploiter.com/tambu/regwack.html