Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > How do I close Port 23?

How do I close Port 23?

Bit Tamer

Well the easy answer is to stop the service/daemon that is listening on that
port, but you provided no information that would help describe the steps you
should take.

Help us help you by giving us some details on your configuration. Let's
start with: what operating system are you using?

Bit Tamer

"Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
> Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
> even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
> settings. How do I close Port 23?
> Stephen

Gerard Bok

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:49:48 -0700, Stephen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
>Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
>even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
>settings. How do I close Port 23?

How do you connect to the internet ?

If you are on cable or dsl its likely that Shields Up is talking
to your modem / router, rather than to your PC

But you still may want to close the port.
If you don't care about remote control and automatic firmware
updates by your provider, that is

--
Kind regards,
Gerard Bok

Mimic

Stephen wrote:

> I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
> Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
> even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
> settings. How do I close Port 23?
> Stephen

try Start - Run - cmd [enter] / or command.com if your on win9x

net stop telnet

--
Mimic

"When life hands you lemons, ask for tequila and salt."
ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )

Stephen

I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
settings. How do I close Port 23?
Stephen

Stephen

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 15:04:34 GMT, "Bit Tamer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well the easy answer is to stop the service/daemon that is listening on that
>port, but you provided no information that would help describe the steps you
>should take.
>
>Help us help you by giving us some details on your configuration. Let's
>start with: what operating system are you using?
>
>Bit Tamer
>
>"Stephen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> I've just checked my internet security with Shields Up at Gibson
>> Research and was disturbed to discover Port 23 (Telnet) is wide open
>> even though I've got Zone Alarm 3 pro running at maximum security
>> settings. How do I close Port 23?
>> Stephen

I'm running Windows 2000 (SP4), connecting to the internet via ADSL
using an ordinary ADSL modem (not ethernet). In Zone Alarm only the
essential programs are allowed access to the internet - IE, Opera, and
a newsreader. and Norton Anti-virus Live update. I've disabled Telnet
and in Zone Alarm I've blocked access to port 23 for all all programs,
but it makes no difference.
I don't know whether this information is any help. I should point out
that I'm fairly ignorant about all this sort of stuf, but I'm not a
complete novice and can find my way around, altering configurations.