Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Unknown program keeps popping back up

Unknown program keeps popping back up

John Vogel

Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my task
manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have looked all
over for anybody who might know the purpose of this program. Unfortunately,
I haven't been able to find any reference to this anywhere.

The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my system,
I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the task, and a
little while later it will pop right back up.

I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as well as
one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.

Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
computer:
scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch

Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the file(s)
and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going to answer my
questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what it has been doing
(if anything).

TIA

Robsten

typed:John Vogel wrote
> Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my
> task manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have
> looked all over for anybody who might know the purpose of this
> program. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any reference to
> this anywhere.
>
> The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
> Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my
> system, I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the
> task, and a little while later it will pop right back up.
>
> I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as
> well as one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.
>
> Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
> computer:
> scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
> scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
> SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch
>

> Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the
> file(s) and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going
> to answer my questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what
> it has been doing (if anything).
>
> TIA

You can try Process explorer and see what you find out of the little
bastard.

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml

And try to run CWShredder, sometimes it works when nothing else do it:

http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html

You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee carefully
thou

http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/S...RegCleaner.exe
from my site

Good luck!
--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

John Vogel

"Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QaxLc.5638$(E-Mail Removed)...
> typed:John Vogel wrote
> > Greetings! I have been getting this strange program popping up in my
> > task manager every day. I have no idea what this program is, and have
> > looked all over for anybody who might know the purpose of this
> > program. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any reference to
> > this anywhere.
> >
> > The program is in my Windows/System folder and is named "scxwyvk.exe".
> > Sometimes, when things seem to be sluggish and non-responsive on my
> > system, I go into my task manager, and there it is. I will end the
> > task, and a little while later it will pop right back up.
> >
> > I've run Ad-Aware, SPybot S&D and two different virus scanners as
> > well as one online Virus Scanner. None of these have found anything.
> >
> > Upon doing a search for "scxwyvk" I found the following files on my
> > computer:
> > scxwyvk.exe - C:\Windows\System32
> > scxwyvk.opt - C:\Windows\System32
> > SCWYVK.EXE-142CEEAD.pf - C:\Windows\Prefetch
> >

> > Any help would be appreciated here. I know I can simply delete the
> > file(s) and probably take care of the problem... but that's not going
> > to answer my questions as to what this is, how it go there, and what
> > it has been doing (if anything).
> >
> > TIA

> > -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

> You can try Process explorer and see what you find out of the little
> bastard.
>
> http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/fr.../procexp.shtml
>
> And try to run CWShredder, sometimes it works when nothing else do it:
>
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/coolwebshredder.html
>
> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee

carefully
> thou
>
> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/S...RegCleaner.exe
> from my site
>
> Good luck!
> --
> Robban Stenkvist
> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

Thank you. I ran the Process Explorer, but to be honest, I really don't know
what the hell I am looking at
It seems to be accessing a lot of Internet Explorer settings (in particular
the cookies settings), as well as accessing files having to do with UserEnv
settings.
This looks even more like a nasty trojan or at the very least spyware... but
i've never come across a program or process I couldn't eventually track
down.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will move the files (above) to a different
location (floppy disk?) to get them off my hard drive and continue to look
for what on earth this is... thanks again...

P.S. I'm not sure how cleaning my registry will help with this particular
problem, but good advice nonetheless... I really do need to clean my
registry

John Vogel

"Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QaxLc.5638$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee

carefully
> thou
>
> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/S...RegCleaner.exe
> from my site

Hey, just wanted to say... this "regcleaner" is one of the best registry
utilities I have come across in a while. This program is great for seeing
just what is in your registry, startup, etc. without having to wade through
all those keys and whatnot. This is really a great tool! I think you should
rename it, though. Registry Cleaner doesn't even begin to explain this
programs functionality... I think "Registry Examiner" would be more approp.

Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this program

P.S. You don't happen to know what "Ameu" is, do you? It's run from
muat.exe, and is set in my start-up's... don't have the slightest idea what
it's pupose is...

Robsten

typed:John Vogel wrote
> [...]

>> Robban Stenkvist
>> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

> Thank you. I ran the Process Explorer, but to be honest, I really
> don't know what the hell I am looking at
> It seems to be accessing a lot of Internet Explorer settings (in
> particular the cookies settings), as well as accessing files having
> to do with UserEnv settings.
> This looks even more like a nasty trojan or at the very least
> spyware... but i've never come across a program or process I couldn't
> eventually track down.
>
> Thanks for the advice. I think I will move the files (above) to a
> different location (floppy disk?) to get them off my hard drive and
> continue to look for what on earth this is... thanks again...
>
> P.S. I'm not sure how cleaning my registry will help with this
> particular problem, but good advice nonetheless... I really do need

If it's a trojan, it have a key in the reg, presumably. I think its a
spyware, I still presume the reg is dirty.
In PE you can kill the process before you delete the files, sometimes you
have to do so.
I think PE not was right for you, prcview is better, lock at it, its stand
alone and does not install any key's or dll's

http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

Robsten

typed:John Vogel wrote
> "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QaxLc.5638$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should try to install regcleaner, see what you can remove, bee
>> carefully thou
>>
>> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080/S...RegCleaner.exe
>> from my site

> Hey, just wanted to say... this "regcleaner" is one of the best
> registry utilities I have come across in a while. This program is
> great for seeing just what is in your registry, startup, etc. without
> having to wade through all those keys and whatnot. This is really a
> great tool! I think you should rename it, though. Registry Cleaner
> doesn't even begin to explain this programs functionality... I think
> "Registry Examiner" would be more approp.
>
> Anyway, thanks for turning me on to this program
>
> P.S. You don't happen to know what "Ameu" is, do you? It's run from
> muat.exe, and is set in my start-up's... don't have the slightest
> idea what it's pupose is...

Not a clue, its not in my XP home, pro, or 98, take it away, you have a
backup in regcleaner, if it's any problem, reinstall it.

Another VERY fine freeware for the reg, don't miss it. "regseeker".

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

You can find som other soft on my site, I have test all exept "spamhiliator"
I recomend G-lock spamcombat, very good, almost never fail, its true.

--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

Robsten

typed:Robsten wrote
--

Adaware is ****, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not powerful
anough.

http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/

Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots spyremover.

Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

John Vogel

"Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_%yLc.5661$(E-Mail Removed)...
> typed:Robsten wrote
> --
>
> Adaware is ****, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not

powerful
> anough.
> Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free scan.
>
> http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
>
> Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots spyremover.
>

> Robban Stenkvist
> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

Thanks Robban, Appreciate the info. I agree with you abotu Adaware and
Spybot, they do seem a bit... useless, for the most part. I think I finally
figured out what my problem was... it WAS spyware, and the name of the
actual spyware was NDrv.exe (or something to that effect)... I finally found
a program that actually knew what the hell it was, as well as telling me
just about everything the program did... Have you ever heard of Security
Task Manager (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/) ? First time I ever ran
across this program and it seems VERY useful... let me know what you think
about it. I'm going to check out adware Xeliminator, thanks again for the
link!

P.S. PestPatrol doesn't seem to me to be any better then Adaware or SpyBot,
and seems to let lots of pests through, but maybe it's just me

Robsten

typed:John Vogel wrote
> "Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_%yLc.5661$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> typed:Robsten wrote
>> --
>>
>> Adaware is ****, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not
>> powerful anough.
>> Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free
>> scan.
>>
>> http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
>>
>> Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots
>> spyremover.
>>

>> Robban Stenkvist
>> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

> Thanks Robban, Appreciate the info. I agree with you abotu Adaware and
> Spybot, they do seem a bit... useless, for the most part. I think I
> finally figured out what my problem was... it WAS spyware, and the
> name of the actual spyware was NDrv.exe (or something to that
> effect)... I finally found a program that actually knew what the hell
> it was, as well as telling me just about everything the program
> did... Have you ever heard of Security Task Manager
> (http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/) ? First time I ever ran across
> this program and it seems VERY useful... let me know what you think
> about it. I'm going to check out adware Xeliminator, thanks again for
> the link!
>
> P.S. PestPatrol doesn't seem to me to be any better then Adaware or
> SpyBot, and seems to let lots of pests through, but maybe it's just
> me

Never heard of it. Seems good, will ckeck it out, thanks!
About Pestpatrol I think, it doe's not take it all, nothing takes it all,
you have to have, (Iam from sweden, excuse the lang), moore than one.
Anyway, I think P.P is better than adaware and Spyboot, don't forget to
update.
A really good free antivirus is antidot:
http://www.vintage-solutions.com/Eng...per/index.html . It's
good at trojan dropper and trojans, it has no guard, it does't install
itself in your PC, it run itself in a tempfile, its a good complement to
your standard antivirus, and it takes the malware between trojans and
spyware, found trojandroppers who my regular antivirussoft and spyremovers
miss.

--
Robban Stenkvist
http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

Robin T Cox

"Robsten" <robert.(ta bort)(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:_%yLc.5661$(E-Mail Removed):

> typed:Robsten wrote
> --
>
> Adaware is ****, find nothing. I don't lika Spyboot any longer, not
> powerful anough.
> Try adware Xeliminator, it takes eveything, i think you have a free
> scan.
>
> http://www.adwarexeliminator.com/
>
> Good spyware removers are also Pestpatrol and maybee webroots
> spyremover.
>

> Robban Stenkvist
> http://w1.853.comhem.se/~u85329080

See:

Re: adware xeliminator - false positives work as goad to purchase; same
app as ADS Adware Remover, AdwareSpy, Privacy Tools 2004, & The Web Shield;
Ad-aware knockoff

Re: webroot - SpyBot S&D clone

You're no better off (in fact) with the above than if you were to use the
original Ad-aware and SpyBot S&D.