Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Stopping kids accessing sites?

Stopping kids accessing sites?

johns

> Also, no self-respecting kid with any intelligence is going to put up
> for long with attempts at adult censorship, when the opportunity to
> beat your system is present. These are the very kids who, later in
> life, will organize the start-ups and become future leaders in the
> global information economy.

Heh! Amazing how easy it is to rationalize being a jerk .. and a lot
of people buy right in to it. The image of the "responsible" self-
realizing kid is truly a joke. Truth is, these computers are not
play toys. They are just as dangerous as a car, and it takes time
and coaching to learn to manage either responsibly. That is an
adults job, and the kids had better stop bitching and clean up
their act, or they can wait until they are old enough and qualify
under the law to use this Internet.

johns

John Vogel

"Neil Hindry" <n_nospam_hindry@_nospam_hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:40f66cb2$1$7811$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wonder if you can help me. I have a friend and her son is using the
> internet to look at unsuitable WebPages.
>
> Can you recommend some software that will stop children viewing unsuitable
> websites?
> I know there is software around like Net Nanny but I do not know which is
> the best.
>
> If possible could you recommend some free software and also some software
> that has to be purchased so we have a choice of buying or using free?
>
> I hope someone can help.
>
> I appreciate any information and help given.
>
> Thanks!

Look, if your friend doesn't want their child going places on the internet,
then your friend should lay down ground rules... if the child doesn't abide
by the rules, then the child shouldn't be aloud to use the internet...
unplug it. That's my advice. Trying to "block" sites, etc. is just playin
games with the kid. If you simply cannot trust the child, then tell them "I
can't trust you, so you cannot get on the internet unless I am present"...

stealthbomber777

Don't try and stop him. Kids can get around **** like that. People
like me help them. >-