Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > XP Firewall

XP Firewall

Clive

My web connection is Cable with a Netgear RP114 router.

At the moment I have Sygate Pro installed, plus Avast AV, Trojanhunter and
Spybot.

Could I get rid of Sygate and turn on the XP firewall? I understand that it
doesn't block any 'outgoing' traffic, but if my system is clean (and kept
clean) surely this isn't a problem.

Thanks

Clive

Dazz

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:42 GMT, "Clive" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>My web connection is Cable with a Netgear RP114 router.
>
>At the moment I have Sygate Pro installed, plus Avast AV, Trojanhunter and
>Spybot.
>
>Could I get rid of Sygate and turn on the XP firewall? I understand that it
>doesn't block any 'outgoing' traffic, but if my system is clean (and kept
>clean) surely this isn't a problem.

Yes, but why would you want to?

You've already mentioned that fact that the XP firewall doesn't block
any 'outgoing' traffic, so IF, despite your best attempts, something
was installed on your computer without your knowledge, you wouldn't
know about it until either Avast AV, Trojanhunter or Spybot picked it
up (assuming they would).

Just like anti-virus software, personal firewalls don't offer complete
security, but they do offer *some* protection.

The fact that XP's built in firewall does not offer outbound
protection should immediately disqualify it as an "acceptable" option.

Here's a scenario:

You keep your system patched with the latest updates, you keep your
antivirus software updated on a regular basis, and you also scan your
PC on a regular basis with Spybot and Ad-aware. You've also stopped
using a personal firewall and started using XP's built in firewall.

One day while browsing some seemingly "innocent" websites, some
software is downloaded onto your computer through a brand new
vulnerability in IE that isn't widely known about.

M$ haven't yet released a patch for the vulnerability.

What would happen?

Well, XP's firewall wouldn't stop the software from sending out
valuable (and quite possibly, confidential) data because it doesn't
block outbound traffic. Your antivirus software doesn't pick it up
because it's not a virus. Spybot and Ad-aware may pick it up
eventually, but how long is it until they do pick it up?

So, where does that leave you?

Recently, this scenario almost came true for me, but luckily, my
personal firewall detected and prevented the outbound connection.

While I don't put 100% trust in any personal firewall, I do feel a
*little* safer knowing that there is that extra layer of protection.

But only a little.

Dazz

>Thanks
>
>Clive

Kleeb

On 2004-07-13, Dazz <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:

<snip>

> The fact that XP's built in firewall does not offer outbound
> protection should immediately disqualify it as an "acceptable" option.

<snip>

I totally agree with your opinions on the XP firewall. However, recently
I've had a few colleagues ask me what they could do to stop porno ads
suddenly appearing on their computer, amongst other things.

I suspected the Windows Messenger Service, and duly gave them a few links
and a few short steps on how to turn the bugger off. I also mentioned that
they turn on the XP firewall if they were sure they didn't have that kind of
application already present on their systems.

I did also tell them to look further into getting a decent firewall. They're
all on broadband connections.

I see the XP firewall as a 'stop-gap', and a very temporary one at that.
It's basically better than nothing. I thought that the 'NAT-like' qualities
of the XP firewall would suffice for the short term, so they could take
their time to find a good quality alternative.

My reasoning for recommending the XP firewall was that these particular
users would have been put off by me saying, "Go here and get this software,
when it asks you to allow ... etc etc". I could just imagine them turning
whatever personal firewall they'd just downloaded/purchased in a store
off because it was 'too annoying'.

Cordially,

Kleeb.

bill

I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.

I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
an attempt to play it safe.

Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
appreciated.

Bill

"Kleeb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZVXIc.1178$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2004-07-13, Dazz <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb:
>
> <snip>
>
> > The fact that XP's built in firewall does not offer outbound
> > protection should immediately disqualify it as an "acceptable" option.

> <snip>
>
> I totally agree with your opinions on the XP firewall. However, recently
> I've had a few colleagues ask me what they could do to stop porno ads
> suddenly appearing on their computer, amongst other things.
>
> I suspected the Windows Messenger Service, and duly gave them a few links
> and a few short steps on how to turn the bugger off. I also mentioned that
> they turn on the XP firewall if they were sure they didn't have that kind

of
> application already present on their systems.
>
> I did also tell them to look further into getting a decent firewall.

They're
> all on broadband connections.
>
> I see the XP firewall as a 'stop-gap', and a very temporary one at that.
> It's basically better than nothing. I thought that the 'NAT-like'

qualities
> of the XP firewall would suffice for the short term, so they could take
> their time to find a good quality alternative.
>
> My reasoning for recommending the XP firewall was that these particular
> users would have been put off by me saying, "Go here and get this

software,
> when it asks you to allow ... etc etc". I could just imagine them turning
> whatever personal firewall they'd just downloaded/purchased in a store
> off because it was 'too annoying'.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Kleeb.

Geoff

bill wrote:
> I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
> keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
> software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
> AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
> these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
> wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.
>
> I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
> an attempt to play it safe.
>
> Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
> appreciated.
>
> Bill

Bill
I found a program called 'SpywareBlaster' effective at stopping the
spyware / adware etc from getting installed in the first place.
I am running XP with a dedicated box running a software firewall
called 'SmoothWall',SpywareBlaster,Spybot and 'The Cleaner',keeps my
system clean and tidy
HTH's
Geoff

Leythos

In article <TpjJc.1530$nF1.968@lakeread04>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I have a question for this group. I also have a Netgear RP114 firewall,
> keep my XP patched, as well as Norton AV. However, I am not running a
> software firewall. I have noticed lately that I've become overrun by
> AdAware stuff, detected by Spybot. I have also researched how to remove
> these .exe's that get into Windows, and the temp folders. Don't get me
> wrong, I'm not even smart enough yet to be dangerous.
>
> I practice safe surfing, and have tried to lock down IE6 (or use FireFox) in
> an attempt to play it safe.
>
> Do I need to invest in a software firewall? Any other tips would be
> appreciated.

Bill, neither your ROUTER (not a firewall) or some of the blockers will
keep you from getting spyware unless you use a locked-down browser, and
don't visit sites that have those types of things.

Try www.safer-networking.org and get Spybot - it's free and works quite
well. Once you run SB you should use it's immunize function.

You might also need to clean a bunch of thing out of the "add/remove
programs" section and then edit the registry to completely remove them.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Dazz

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:50:01 GMT, Kleeb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snipped>

>I see the XP firewall as a 'stop-gap', and a very temporary one at that.
>It's basically better than nothing. I thought that the 'NAT-like' qualities
>of the XP firewall would suffice for the short term, so they could take
>their time to find a good quality alternative.

As a stop gap measure, it's definitely better than nothing, but only
just.

>My reasoning for recommending the XP firewall was that these particular
>users would have been put off by me saying, "Go here and get this software,
>when it asks you to allow ... etc etc". I could just imagine them turning
>whatever personal firewall they'd just downloaded/purchased in a store
>off because it was 'too annoying'.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean.

Unfortunately, some people don't understand that it's there to help
protect them, and not to hinder them.

Good luck.

Dazz